I Miss My Friend (song)
|"I Miss My Friend"|
|Single by Darryl Worley|
|from the album I Miss My Friend|
|Released||March 11, 2002|
|Darryl Worley singles chronology|
"I Miss My Friend" is a song written by Tom Shapiro, Mark Nesler and Tony Martin, and recorded by American country music singer Darryl Worley. It was released in March 2002 he first single and title track from his album of the same name. The song became his first number one single on the Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) chart. It also crossed over to pop radio, peaking at #28 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Development and promotion
The song is a ballad to a lost significant other. In the verses, the narrator lists the details of his significant other that he misses, stating in the chorus that what he misses the most of all is her friendship.
The music video for the song was directed by Shaun Silva, and features Worley playing guitar, facing a woman who is sitting on a couch. The camera predominantly alternates between a full shot showing both subjects, a close-up of the singer's face, and a top-down shot of Worley and the rear wall; occasional shots from over Worley's shoulder shows the woman's reactions between song phrases. The left wall (which the woman looks toward) is not shown until the outro: the woman stands, walks through Worley and reveals that her reactions during the song were due to a home movie playing on a television behind the singer. Worley then stands up and walks away, disappearing into white light.
People magazine called the tune "a unique, thoughtful take on romantic remorse that demonstrates Worley's sensitive brand of country," and noted that "Although the singer didn't have a hand in composing that tune...his eye for smart material is evident."
"I Miss My Friend" debuted at #51 on the Hot Country Songs chart dated March 23, 2002. Having charted for 32 weeks on that chart, it reached Number One on the country chart dated September 21, 2002, holding that position for one week.
|US Billboard Hot 100||28|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||5|
by Tim McGraw
|Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks
September 21, 2002
by Diamond Rio
- Morris, Edward (2002-10-02). "Worley and Friends Celebrate "I Miss My Friend"". CMT. Retrieved 2008-06-03.
- Stark, Phyllis June 22, 2002, "Worley Is Not Likely To 'Miss' With His New DreamWorks CD". Billboard. 114 (25):41
- Novak, Ralph (August 26, 2002), "I Miss My Friend (Music release)". People. 58 (9):31
- "Darryl Worley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Darryl Worley. Retrieved January 23, 2011.
- "Darryl Worley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Darryl Worley. Retrieved January 23, 2011.
- "Best of 2002: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2002. Retrieved July 24, 2012.