I Need My Monster
First edition cover
|Country||United States of America|
|Followed by||Hey, That's MY Monster!|
I Need My Monster is a picture book written by Amanda Noll, illustrated by Howard McWilliam, and published by Flashlight Press. Since its publication in 2009, I Need My Monster has been translated into Korean, German, Hebrew, Ukrainian, and Chinese. Scholastic Book Club has published a paperback edition.
In 2014, Storyline Online (the SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s award-winning children’s literacy website) filmed Rita Moreno of West Side Story fame reading I Need My Monster.
Ethan is used to sleeping with his favorite monster under his bed. One night, checking under the bed, he finds a note instead:
"Gone fishing. Back in a week. –Gabe"
Ethan finds other monsters who appear under the bed, but none are just like the one that helps him sleep. He wants his own monster back.
A sequel, Hey, That's MY Monster!, was published in 2016. In this book, Ethan tries to find a monster scary enough to keep his little sister in bed until she falls asleep.
In 2017, Storyline Online (the SAG-AFTRA Foundation’s award-winning children’s literacy website) filmed Lily Tomlin reading Hey, That's MY Monster!
Awards and honors
I Need My Monster is the winner of five state awards:
- Alabama Camellia Award (2010–11),
- Arizona Grand Canyon Reader Award (2011),
- California Young Readers Medal (2011–12),
- Georgia Picture Storybook Award (2011–12), and the
- Nevada Young Reader Award (2011–12)
In addition, I Need My Monster was listed on the following national award lists:
- Mississippi Magnolia Children's Choice Award list (2012–13),
- Nebraska Golden Sower Award (2011–12) 2nd-place,
- South Dakota Prairie Bud Award (2011–12) 3rd-place
- Virginia Reader's Choice Award Primary list (2012–13)
- Washington Children's Choice Book Award (2010-2011) 2nd-place
- Wyoming Buckaroo Award (2011–12) 2nd runner-up,
- Iowa Regional Goldfinch Award (2009–10) winner,
- Storytelling World Award Honor Book (2010),
- Indie Next Kids' Pick (Summer 2009),
- NSW Premier Reading Challenge Book in Australia, and
- Scholastic Book Club Selection
I Need My Monster has generally received positive reviews from critics. Booklist stated, "The entire effort strikes a nice balance between creepy and comforting, but especially endearing is Gabe’s early return home..." "Kirkus Reviews called it "an unusually well-done debut."
Artwork from I Need My Monster was showcased in "Sendak & Co.: Children's Book Illustrations Since Where the Wild Things Are," an exhibit at the Appleton Museum of Art.
- "I Need My Monster by Amanda Noll". Scholastic.com. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Eifo Hamifletzet Sheli?". Judaism.com.
- "I Need My Monster - An Exciting Way to start the New Year!". Top Educational Apps.
- Bircher, Katie. "I Need My Monster book app review". The Horn Book, February 2013.
- ""Teacher-Selected Books by Grade Level: I Need My Monster" ''Reading to Kids''". Readingtokids.org. 2012-02-26. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- Alabama Camellia Award (2010-11)
- "Previous Winners - Grand Canyon Reader Awards". Grandcanyonreaderaward.org. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "CYRM Nominees 2011-2012" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-23. Retrieved 2013-02-19.
- [dead link]
- "Nevada Library Association". Nevadalibraries.org. 2010-08-14. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- Magnolia Award 2013 Nominees
- Golden Sower Award 2011-2012 Nominees[dead link]
- "childrenschoiceaward - 2011 Nominees". Childrenschoiceaward.wikispaces.com. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "Buckaroo Book Award Book Lists : Campbell County Public Library System : Gillette and Wright WY". Ccpls.org. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- Area Education Agency 267. "Area Education Agency 267". Awards.iasl.iowapages.org. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "2010 Storytelling World Resource Awards". Storytellingworld.com. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "NSW Premier's Book Challenge: Book list". Products.schools.nsw.edu.au. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- "I Need My Monster". Children's Books Heal
- "I Need My Monster by Amanda Noll Illustrated by Howard McWilliam" Archived 2014-02-01 at the Wayback Machine. Bookscoops.
- "Accept No Substitute: I Need My Monster". Just One More Book!
- "I Need My Monster". Bookverdict.com. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- "I Need My Monster". Publisher's Weekly.
- "I Need My Monster, by Amanda Noll". Booklist Online. Retrieved 2013-02-20.
- Pouroulis, Anita. "I NEED MY MONSTER by Amanda Noll, Howard McWilliam | Kirkus". Kirkusreviews.com. Retrieved 2013-02-20.