I Need a Lover
|"I Need a Lover"|
|Single by John Cougar|
|from the album John Cougar|
|B-side||"Welcome to Chinatown"|
|Format||7-inch 45 RPM|
|Recorded||1978 at AIR Studios, London, England|
|Length||5:38, 3:30 (Single)|
|Songwriter(s)||John Mellencamp Frank David Williams|
|John Cougar singles chronology|
"I Need a Lover" is a rock song written and performed by John Mellencamp and first released under the stage name Johnny Cougar. It appeared on his 1978 album A Biography, which was not released in the United States. After becoming a Top 10 hit in Australia, the song was later included on his 1979 follow-up album John Cougar to introduce it to U.S. audiences, and it was released as a single, becoming his first Top 40 hit in the U.S. when it reached #28 on the Billboard Hot 100 in late 1979.
Pat Benatar version
|"I Need a Lover"|
|Single by Pat Benatar|
|from the album In the Heat of the Night|
|B-side||"No You Don't"|
|Released||March 8, 1980|
|Pat Benatar singles chronology|
The song was covered and released as the debut single in 1980 by American rock singer Pat Benatar for her debut studio album, In the Heat of the Night (1979). The song became an album-oriented rock radio hit for the singer.
- The Best That I Could Do 1978–1988 (CD liner). John Mellencamp. U.S.A.: Mercury Records. 1997. p. 9. 314 536 738-2.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "John Cougar: A Biography: review". allmusic. Retrieved October 21, 2010.
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine. "John Cougar: A Biography: review". allmusic. Retrieved October 21, 2010.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (8th Edition). Billboard Books. p. 418. ISBN 0-8230-7499-4.
- Modell, Josh (August 12, 2014). "Hamilton Leithauser covers John Cougar (and he's playing A.V. Fest)". The A.V. Club. Onion, Inc. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
|This 1970s single–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|