I Never Liked You (song)
|"I Never Liked You"|
|Single by Rogue Traders|
|from the album Better in the Dark|
|Released||14 January 2008Australia)(|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Genre||Pop rock, dance-pop|
|Songwriter(s)||James Ash, Melinda Appleby, Natalie Bassingthwaighte, Timothy Henwood|
|Rogue Traders singles chronology|
"I Never Liked You" is a dance-pop song performed by Australian band Rogue Traders. The song was written by James Ash, Melinda Appleby, Natalie Bassingthwaighte and Timothy Henwood, and produced by Ash for the band's third studio album Better in the Dark (2007). The song's lyrics were written as a reaction "to endless love songs on [the] radio".
The song was released as the album's second single in Australia on 14 January 2008. It has reached number nine on the Australian singles chart, and has become the band's sixth top ten single.
Background and release
According to lead singer Natalie Bassingthwaighte, "I Never Liked You" began as a song about Cinderella, but "that didn't go anywhere!". James Ash has described the song as a "reaction to endless love songs on [the] radio" and said that he "wanted to [do] something opposite. I like to think of it as the Anti-Breakup song!"
"I Never Liked You" was released as a CD single and digital download in Australia. The CD single included "Shout Out", a previously unreleased song, and both formats featured a remix of "Watching You" by Chris Lake. In November 2007, the band performed the song during the Australian Idol 2007 grand finale at the Sydney Opera House. James Ash has described the performance as their "best TV moment".
"I Never Liked You" debuted on the Australian singles chart on 27 January 2008 at number eleven. The following week, the song rose two positions to #9, already a bigger hit than "Don't You Wanna Feel" in its 2nd week. In its third week fell out of the ARIA top ten to number eleven. It stayed within the top fifty for a further twelve weeks before dropping off the charts.
The music video for "I Never Liked You" was filmed in late 2007. The video was influenced by kung fu and manga and features Bassingthwaighte and Ash combating an Asian gang to rescue their band members, who have been taken hostage. The video begins with the band performing in a garage. Scenes of Bassingthwaighte and Ash being chased on motorcycles in a futuristic city are then shown. The video concludes with Bassingthwaighte and Ash fighting the gang and escaping with the other band members.
Bassingthwaighte and Ash received stunt training over two days by the team behind stunts in the Star Wars and The Matrix. The music video premiered on the band's official website on 14 December 2007.
Formats and track listings
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "I Never Liked You".
(88697212382; Released 14 January 2008)
(Released 10 November 2007)
- "I Never Liked You" - 3:28
(Released 15 January 2008)
- "I Never Liked You" - 3:31
- "Watching You" (Chris Lake's downtown vocal) - 6:53
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||9||Gold|
End Of Year Charts
|Australia||ARIA End Of Year Singles||71|
- "Rogue Traders' New Album In Stores Now!". RogueTraders.com.au. Retrieved 21 November 2007.
- Ash, James. "Greetings From Boot Camp...". Roguetraders.com.au. 26 November 2007. Retrieved 31 January 2008.
- "Rogue Traders: I Never Liked You". Australian-Charts.com. Retrieved 31 January 2008.
- Top 50 Physical Singles Chart. Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved on 15 February 2008.
- Top 40 Digital Track Chart Archived 16 November 2007 at WebCite. Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved on 15 February 2008.
- Rogue Aria Watch- Part 3. Rogue Traders Official Site. Retrieved on 25 April 2008
- "Watch Rogue Treaders' New Knockout Clip 'I Never Liked You'". Roguetraders.com.au. 14 December 2007. Retrieved 31 January 2008.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 January 2009. Retrieved 29 May 2009.