I Put a Spell on You (album)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|I Put a Spell on You|
|Studio album by Nina Simone|
|Recorded||New York City January 1965|
|Nina Simone chronology|
Information about songs on this album
- "I Put a Spell on You", a song originally by Screamin' Jay Hawkins. The original version gave the song an ironic theme, but Simone transformed it into a thrilling love song, complete with horns and strings. It had become one of her most well known songs. She used the title for her autobiography I Put A Spell On You (1992). The Beatles drew inspiration from the song for their song "Michelle".
- "Tomorrow Is My Turn", an English translation of a French song by Charles Aznavour.
- "Ne me quitte pas", a rendition of the song by Jacques Brel. It became one of her live repertoire standards.
- "Feeling Good": Simone's version of this Broadway song, which has been covered by many artists including Muse and Michael Bublé. A sample of the song is featured on Mary J. Blige's song "About You" on the album The Breakthrough (2006). Kanye West and Jay-Z also sample "Feeling Good" for the song "New Day" on their album Watch The Throne.
- "I Put a Spell on You" (Jalacy Hawkins) – 2:34
- "Tomorrow Is My Turn" (Charles Aznavour, Marcel Stellman, Yves Stéphane) – 2:48
- "Ne me quitte pas" (Jacques Brel) – 3:34
- "Marriage is for Old Folks" (Leon Carr, Earl Shuman) – 3:29
- "July Tree" (Irma Jurist, Eve Merriam) – 2:41
- "Gimme Some" (Andy Stroud) – 2:57
- "Feeling Good" (Leslie Bricusse, Anthony Newley) – 2:53
- "One September Day" (Rudy Stevenson) – 2:48
- "Blues on Purpose" (instrumental) (Rudy Stevenson) – 3:16
- "Beautiful Land" (Leslie Bricusse, Anthony Newley) – 1:54
- "You've Got to Learn" (Charles Aznavour, Marcel Stellman) – 2:41
- "Take Care of Business" (Andy Stroud) – 2:03
|Chart 1965||Peak position|