I Told You So (Keith Urban song)
|"I Told You So"|
|Single by Keith Urban|
|from the album Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing|
|Released||May 8, 2007|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Length||4:27 (album version)|
4:02 (radio edit)
|Producer(s)||Dann Huff, Keith Urban|
|Keith Urban singles chronology|
"I Told You So" is a song written and recorded by Australian country music artist Keith Urban. It was released in May 2007 as the third single from his 2006 album Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing. The song peaked at number 2 on the US Billboard Hot Country Songs chart.
This song is used in the Rock Band Country Track Pack.
The song talks about a man who has just met a lover with whom he recently split up. Upon encountering her, he begs for her to return, provided that she doesn't need to apologize for her own actions ("Please, just come back home / No, don't say that you're sorry / And I won't say 'I told you so'.").
"I Told You So" features a Celtic influence, in part due to the use of Uilleann pipes. Snare drums are also used heavily throughout, most notably between the second chorus and bridge. According to the album's liner notes, Urban plays several instruments on the song, including electric guitar, acoustic guitar, ganjo, bouzouki, mandolin, and percussion. He also sings all of the vocals.
The radio edit features a shortened bridge, as well as a slightly truncated outro.
Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song an A grade, saying that Keith Urban "loves his most recent album because he expands on his basic signature sound" and that it "doesn't hurt that the material is stronger" although the instrumental bridge is "like nothing [he's] ever heard before, on a country record or otherwise."
As listed in liner notes.
- Keith Urban – lead vocals, background vocals, lead guitar, acoustic guitar, ganjo, mandolin, bouzouki, slide guitar, percussion
- Tom Bukovac – rhythm guitar
- Eric Darken – percussion
- Dann Huff – electric 12-string guitar, percussion
- Chris McHugh – drums, percussion
- Tim Lauer – accordion, synthesizer
- Eric Rigler – tin whistle, Uilleann pipes
- Jimmie Lee Sloas – bass guitar
- Jonathan Yudkin – fiddle
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||56|
|US Billboard Hot 100||48|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||22|
- Keith Urban releases new single
- Billboard.com - Discography - Keith Urban - Love, Pain, & the whole crazy thing
- CMT Insider - Keith Urban
- Coyne, Kevin John (2007-04-23). "Review: Keith Urban, "I Told You So"". Country Universe.
- Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing (Media notes). Keith Urban. Capitol Records. 2006. 09463-77087-0-5.
- "Keith Urban Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "Keith Urban Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "Keith Urban Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2007: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2007. Retrieved July 11, 2012.