I Tried (Bone Thugs-n-Harmony song)
|Single by Bone Thugs-n-Harmony featuring Akon|
|from the album Strength & Loyalty|
|B-side||"Bump in the Trunk"|
|Released||February 12, 2007|
|Bone Thugs-n-Harmony singles chronology|
"I Tried" (also known as "I Tried (So Hard)") is a song recorded by Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, released in February 2007 as the lead single from their album Strength & Loyalty. This particular song features Layzie Bone, Krayzie Bone and Wish Bone. The song features and was produced by Akon; Giorgio Tuinfort assisted the artists in writing the song.
Background and composition
The song is about the struggles that the members of Bone Thugs-n-Harmony and Akon faced on the streets.
"I Tried" is performed in the key of G♯ minor in common time with a tempo of 82 beats per minute. The song follows a chord progression of D♯m–E–F♯–G♯m, and the vocals in the song span from F♯4 to E5.
The song entered the Billboard charts in the issue dated April 7, 2007. It debuted at number eighty-two on the Billboard Hot 100 on the issue date April 14, 2007 and reached number six, making it the highest charting Bone Thugs-N-Harmony single in ten years.
On March 7, 2007, the music video officially debuted on Yahoo! and other websites. On December 31 of the same year, the video appeared at number 89 on BET's Notarized: Top 100 Videos of 2007 countdown. The video shows the group and Akon performing as well as tells the story of a young man in Cleveland where the group was first formed. The man walks into a grocery store, but at the entrance, he collides with a man running out of the store. The man drops what he had in his hand, revealing money. The money is inferred to be stolen from the store. The other man runs away, while the young man picks up his bag. Consequently, a police officer catches him picking up the bag where the money had been dropped. He runs from the police officer, but the officer eventually arrests him. The officer goes to the store to check with the owner if he had arrested the suspect. The store owner says the young man did not rob the store, and then the officer lets the young man go. The video ends with the man walking away from the store.
The music video was directed by Rich Newey.
- "I Tried" (featuring Akon)
- Clean – 4:51
- Dirty – 4:51
- Instrumental – 4:51
- A cappella – 4:33
- "Bumps in the Trunk" (featuring Swizz Beatz)
- Dirty – 4:25
- Instrumental – 4:24
- A cappella – 4:26
- Howse, Steven. "Bone Thugs-N-Harmony "I Tried" Sheet Music in G Minor - Download & Print". Musicnotes.com. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Song Key and BPM Music Database | AudioKeychain". AudioKeychain. Retrieved 2016-07-09.
- "Bone Thugs-n-Harmony and Akon's 'I Tried': Chart Positions". Retrieved May 7, 2007.
- "Hot 100 Songs - Year End 2007". Billboard. Prometheus Media LLC. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- "Ringtones Year End 2007". Billboard. Prometheus Media LLC. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- "RIAA Search results".
- "Bone Thugs-N-Harmony: News: "I Tried" Certified Platinum Ringtone".