I Want to Be a Pilot
|I Want to Be a Pilot|
|Directed by||Diego Quemada-Diez|
|Produced by||Diego Quemada-Diez|
|Written by||Diego Quemada-Diez|
|Starring||Joseph Kyalo Kioko|
|Edited by||Kim Bica|
|February 22, 2006 (Kenya)|
I Want to Be a Pilot, is a 2006 award winning Kenyan - Mexican short film docufiction written and directed by Diego Quemada-Diez. The movie has earned more than 50 international prizes including the Audience Award at the Los Angeles Film Festival and has participated in over 200 film festivals such as Sundance, Locarno, Telluride, Edinburgh, Amiens, Los Angeles, São Paulo, Manhattan, Silverdocs, Bermuda, San Francisco.
The film tells the story of a poverty stricken boy in one of the poorest parts of Kenya who looks up towards the heavens and dreams of being an airline pilot, of being able to fly.
The voiceover goes back and forth between straightforward descriptions of extreme poverty (his neighborhood (Kibera) is "East Africa's largest slum," he hasn't eaten in several days, when he has to sleep he finds what shelter he can in a garbage dump, etc.) and his hopes and dreams (he wants to be a pilot, to fly away, to go where he won't have to suffer like this, to have parents, to be loved, to not be HIV-positive, etc.).
- Joseph Kyalo Kioko
- Kepha Onduru
- Collins Otieno ... Omondi
- Gaudencia Ayuma Schichenga
- "Estimated Budget at the Internet Movie Data Base". Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- Philo, Gabriel (October 11, 2010). "I Want to Be a Pilot Short Film Review". Yahoo Inc. Retrieved 6 June 2012. Check date values in:
|year= / |date= mismatch(help)
- "Reframe Peterborugh international film festival 2010: I want to be a pilot". Reframe film festival. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
|This article related to a Kenyan film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a short documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|