I Wish (Stevie Wonder song)
|Single by Stevie Wonder|
|from the album Songs in the Key of Life|
|B-side||"You and I"|
|Length||3:37 (Single edit)
4:12 (Album version)
|Stevie Wonder singles chronology|
|Songs in the Key of Life track listing|
"I Wish" is a hit song by Stevie Wonder. It was released in 1976 as a single and included on the album Songs in the Key of Life. Written and produced by Wonder, the song focuses on his childhood from the 1950s into the early 1960s. The single hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and soul singles chart.
For the television series Classic Albums, Wonder recreated a small section from the song to demonstrate how he composed and arranged it. He played the keyboards and drums himself, and used most of the musicians that recorded the original.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- In 2017, Ninja Sex Party performed a cover version of the song which was released as part of their album Under the Covers, Vol. II.
In popular culture
- Will Smith sampled "I Wish" for his 1999 hit "Wild Wild West".
- The song is heavily referenced in Happy Feet and Animal Kingdom: Let's Go Ape.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 636.
- Wonder, Stevie; Beus de Jung; Nick de Grunwald (1977). "Documentary: The Making of Songs in the Key of Life pt. 8". Video documentary of the making of Songs in the Key of Life. Isis Production. Retrieved 16 May 2010.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-05-25. Retrieved 2016-03-03.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1977/Top 100 Songs of 1977". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "I Wish". Ninja Sex Party. YouTube. 2017-10-26. Retrieved 2017-12-23.
- "Will Smith feat. Dru Hill and Kool Moe Dee's Wild Wild West sample of Stevie Wonder's I Wish". whosampled.com. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" by Leo Sayer
|Billboard Hot 100 number-one single
January 22, 1977 (one week)
"Car Wash" by Rose Royce
"Darlin' Darlin' Baby (Sweet, Tender, Love)" by The O'Jays
|Billboard's Hot Soul Singles number-one single
January 15 - February 12, 1977 (five weeks)
"Don't Leave Me This Way" by Thelma Houston