I Won't Let Go (Rascal Flatts song)
|"I Won't Let Go"|
|Single by Rascal Flatts|
|from the album Nothing Like This|
|Released||January 10, 2011|
|Producer(s)||Dann Huff, Rascal Flatts|
|Rascal Flatts singles chronology|
"I Won't Let Go" is a song written by Steve Robson and Jason Sellers and recorded by American country music group Rascal Flatts. It was released in January 2011 as the second single from the band's seventh studio album, Nothing Like This as well as their 28th single overall. The song received positive reviews from critics who praised Gary LeVox's vocal delivery for showing more maturity. "I Won't Let Go" peaked at number 2 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart and number 31 on the Hot 100. The song was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), denoting sales of over one million units in the country. It also managed to chart in Australia and Canada, peaking at numbers 39 and 68 respectively. The accompanying music video for the song was directed by Deaton-Flanigen Productions and is footage of a live performance.
Content and writing
Jason Sellers and Steve Robson wrote the song together. Robson had begun the song already when he and Sellers got together to write it. Sellers told Country Weekly that he thought Robson's existing lyrics were "inspired", and thought that he would write a song with an "uplifting lyric". He said they intentionally did not define the song's character, so that the message could be applicable in various situations: "This could be something you'd say to someone in the family that's a soldier, fighting overseas… or to your mom, dad, wife or husband[…]I felt it could also be God saying it to someone."
|The 9513||(Thumbs Up)|
|The 1-to-10 Country Music Review|||
Michael McCall of Associated Press praised the song in his review of the album, saying that it "show[ed] a new maturity" and "showcases Gary LeVox's tenor." Writing for The 9513, C.M. Wilcox gave the song a "thumbs up". He thought that the lyrics were vague but said that the song was "beautifully executed", also praising Gary LeVox's voice. Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave it four stars out of five, saying, "this ‘power ballad’ showcases off the better parts of Gary LeVox’s singing style as he sings the melody of the lyric in a soft, tender tenor that is often the best pocket of his voice and while he does some vocal runs throughout the song, he sings this song in a tone that suits him the best." Ben Foster of "The 1-to-10 Country Music Review" gave it five stars out of ten, saying, "their performance is solid, and the harmonies are there, so "I Won't Let Go" is easy on the ears."
The music video was directed by Deaton-Flanigen Productions and premiered in early 2011. It is footage of a live performance.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|US Billboard Hot 100||31|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||39|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||28|
|US Country Digital Songs (Billboard)||20|
|US Ringtones (Billboard)||50|
- Horner, Marianne (May 30, 2011). "Story Behind the Song: Feels Like the First Time". Country Weekly. 18 (22): 16. ISSN 1074-3235.
- Wilcox, C.M. (January 26, 2011). "Rascal Flatts — "I Won't Let Go"". The 9513. Archived from the original on January 31, 2011. Retrieved February 18, 2011.
- Bjorke, Matt (January 27, 2011). "Rascal Flatts - "I Won't Let Go"". Roughstock. Retrieved July 20, 2012.
- Foster, Ben (January 26, 2011). "Rascal Flatts, "I Won't Let Go"". The 1-to-10 Country Music Review. Retrieved July 20, 2012.
- McCall, Michael (November 18, 2010). "Music review: Rascal Flatts' 'Nothing Like This'". Associated Press. Retrieved February 18, 2011.
- "Chartifacts - Week Commencing: 30th May 2011". Australian Recording Industry Association. May 30, 2011. Archived from the original on June 1, 2011. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- "Rascal Flatts – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Rascal Flatts.
- "Rascal Flatts – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Rascal Flatts.
- "Rascal Flatts – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Rascal Flatts.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2011: Country Digital Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2011: Ringtones". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "American single certifications – Rascal Flatts – I Won%27t Let Go". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH