I and Love and You
|I and Love and You|
|Studio album by The Avett Brothers|
|Released||September 29, 2009|
|Genre||Folk rock, Americana, roots rock|
|The Avett Brothers chronology|
The first single, "I and Love and You" was released on June 24, 2009, via free digital download. The album was released on vinyl on September 15, 2009, with the CD and digital formats becoming available on September 29, 2009. The album was available in streaming format on National Public Radio's Web site prior to its release.
The song "I and Love and You" was chosen as the Starbucks iTunes Pick of the Week for September 22, 2009. From September 8 to October 8, 2009, The Avett Brothers released a 13 chapter video series about I and Love and You, each chapter featuring one song from the album (one chapter at a time, posting each on various websites before collecting them for viewing on their own page).
Background and release
In 2008, the band announced on Myspace that they signed with American Recordings to produce a new album. Previously, the band was signed to the independent label Ramseur Records. Rick Rubin was impressed by The Avett Brothers' previous album, Emotionalism and decided to produce the album. I and Love and You was the band's major label debut (American Recordings is a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment) and was recorded in Los Angeles.
Bart Blasengame of Paste gave the album a very positive review, writing that the Avett Brothers "...constructed something beautiful" while still making their sound more mainstream. The review continued: "The depth and beauty that spread all across I and Love and You will, with any luck, keep The Avett Brothers from becoming The Jonas Brothers." Popmatters' Steve Leftridge called the album the band's best record yet, writing "I and Love and You's new elegant musical direction and very strong set of new songs indicate that they are band that is indeed just getting revved up. They might remain too folk-fringe-y to be pop's Next Big Thing, but the Avetts' latest fully delivers on this band's considerable potential." Leftridge also praised Rick Rubin's contributions.
In a more mixed review, Pitchfork Media's Stephen Deusner was less receptive to the album's mainstream sound, writing "Every instrument sounds perfectly placed, and that's a shame because the Avetts got more mileage out of their rough edges than most bands this decade." Deusner also called the album "predictable" and concluded: "It's not that there's no room for such studio nuance in the Avetts' music, but it gives I and Love and You a quotidian sheen, making their signature sincerity seem sappy and much less special." Despite the mixed review, Deusner praised the track "Laundry Room." Alexis Petridis of The Guardian also praised the track "Laundry Room" in his otherwise mixed review, writing "The finest moment may be when 'Laundry Room' unexpectedly abandons the blueprint after three and half minutes and explodes into a thrilling bluegrass coda. At that moment, I and Love and You sounds like a band suddenly doing what they want to, rather than what they think they should."
Paste named I and Love and You the best album of 2009, writing "For their artistic breakthrough, these North Carolina howlers polished their scruffy Americana sound until it gleamed. The result: an overpowering acoustic album brimming with sadness and soul."
|1.||"I and Love and You"||5:00|
|3.||"Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise"||4:47|
|4.||"And It Spread"||4:06|
|5.||"The Perfect Space"||4:31|
|6.||"Ten Thousand Words"||5:35|
|7.||"Kick Drum Heart"||2:54|
|9.||"Ill with Want"||4:04|
|11.||"Slight Figure of Speech"||2:22|
|12.||"It Goes on and On"||2:57|
|13.||"Incomplete and Insecure"||2:35|
The following people contributed to I and Love and You:
The Avett Brothers
|UK Albums Chart (2010)||72|
|US Billboard 200 (2009)||16|
- I and Love and You Release Date, The Avett Brothers.com, 21st June 2009.
- Thompson, Stephen. Exclusive First Listen: The Avett Brothers, NPR Music, 21st September 2009.
- Starbucks iTunes Pick of the Week, Mark-Heringer.com, 22 September 2009.
- Our Big Tuesday Reveal, The Avett Brothers.com, 8th September 2009.
- Chapter 13 Winner + NYE Ticket Update, The Avett Brothers.com, 8th October 2009.
- an announcement; and a letter to all of you. Myspace. 7 July 2008. Retrieved 22 June 2011
- Currin, Grayson. The Avett Brothers ascend. Independent Weekly. 23 July 2008. Retrieved 23 June 2011
- "Avett Brothers – Charts & Awards". Allmusic. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "AVETT BROTHERS – The Official Charts Company". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- I and Love and You at AllMusic
- Alexis Petridis. "The Avett Brothers: I and Love and You". the Guardian.
- "Avett Brothers: I and Love and You". pastemagazine.com.
- "The Avett Brothers". Pitchfork.
- "The Avett Brothers". PopMatters.
- Review on Rolling Stone at the Wayback Machine (archived January 6, 2010)
- Critic Reviews for I and Love and You. Metacritic. Retrieved 20 June 2011
- Blasengame, Bart. Avett Brothers: I and Love and You. Paste. 29 September 2009. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Leftridge, Steve. The Avett Brothers: I and Love and You. Popmatters. 29 September 2009. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Deusner, Stephen. The Avett Brothers: I and Love and You. Pitchfork Media. 2 October 2009. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Petridis, Alexis. The Avett Brothers: I and Love and You. The Guardian. 25 March 2010. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Paste Staff (15 December 2009). "The 25 Best Albums of 2009". Paste. Retrieved 30 November 2011.
- I and Love and You – Credits. Allmusic. Retrieved 23 June 2011