I and Thou (band)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for music. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
I and Thou is a progressive rock group that is primarily a solo effort from Jason Hart (keyboardist for Renaissance, and Camel) with supporting musicians John Galgano (bassist for IZZ), Matt Johnson (drummer for Jeff Buckley and Rufus Wainwright), and Jack Petruzzelli (guitarist for Patti Smith and The Fab Faux). Hart stated in an interview that the name was chosen to pay homage to the Martin Buber book I and Thou.
As of June 2014, I and Thou have released one album, and they are currently working on a follow-up recording.
|Studio album by I and Thou|
I and Thou's first album Speak was released in 2012 and features a cover image by Renaissance lead vocalist Annie Haslam. Hart has stated that he began developing material for the album in 2005, and recording began in 2009. Rob Hughes writing for PROG magazine observed
"The ravishing minimalism of Speak is reliant on mood and atmosphere for much of its effect, with Hart combining elements of symphonic rock, prog, classical and ambient music. It's a record of discreet pleasures, slowly unlocking its secrets with every play."
The album has received generally positive reviews, receiving a 4/5 rating from Henri Strik at Background Magazine, 9/10 from Brian Watson at Dutch Progressive Rock Page, 12/15 from Jochen König at Musikreview.de, and 9/10 from Grande Rock.
All songs written by Jason Hart except as indicated.
- "Speak" – 12:23
- "...and I Awaken" - 11:35
- "Hide and Seek" - 16:34
- "The Face Behind the Eyes" - 13:38
- "Go or Go Ahead" (Rufus Wainwright) - 6:43
- Jason Hart - piano, keyboard, lead and background vocals, percussion, glockenspiel, trumpet, additional guitar and sound effects
- John Galgano - bass guitar and background vocals
- Matt Johnson - drums
- Jack Petruzzelli - electric, acoustic, and classical guitar, mandolin, banjo
- Paul Bremner - additional guitar
- Maxim Moston - violin
- Laura Meade - background vocals
- Keren Ann - vocals on "Hide and Seek"
- Steve Hogarth - vocals on "Go or Go Ahead"
- Jason Hart - producer
- Jack Petruzzelli, Philip Hart and Mac Simpson - executive producers
- Mixed by Fernando Lodeiro
- Mastered by Fred Kevorkian
- Cover image, "This Glorious Earth", by Annie Haslam
- I and Thou - Speak review on ProgPlanet
- Artist's website
- I and Thou, interview with Jason Hart on Grande Rock ezine
- "Speak" at Prog Archives
- Interview on Grande Rock ezine
- Hughes, Rob (April 2013) "I and Thou", PROG magazine Issue 35, p. 27
- I and Thou - Speak, review at Background Magazine
- Watson, Brian I and Thou - Speak, review at DPRP. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- I and Thou: Speak (review) at Musikreview.de (German)
- I and Thou - Speak, review at Grande Rock
|This article on a band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|