Iași International Airport
|Iași International Airport
Aeroportul Internațional Iași
|Operator||Iași County Council|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||411 ft / 125 m|
Iași International Airport (IATA: IAS, ICAO: LRIA) is an international airport located near Iași, Romania, 8 km (5 mi) east of the city centre. One of the oldest accredited airports in Romania, Iași Airport is the fourth-busiest airport in Romania in terms of passenger traffic, and the most important airport in the historical region of Moldavia.
The Iași region earned its commercial representative status on 24 June 1926, when scheduled flights commenced on the route Bucharest – Galați – Iași – Chișinău. The flights were operated by Compagnie Franco-Roumaine de Navigation Aérienne - CFRNA, in 1930 renamed LARES.
In 1966, a north–south concrete runway, 15/33, with a total length of 1,800 m (5,906 ft), and a modern lighting system, were built, followed three years later by the construction of a new passenger terminal. In 2001, the passenger terminal was upgraded in order to use separate flows for domestic and international flights.
In June 2012, a new passenger terminal, named Terminal T2, was added, increasing the total processing capacity to 215 pax/hour. The terminal was designated to be used for Schengen/domestic flights. The old terminal has been renamed Terminal T1.
In 2013, Iași International Airport started a long-term, multi-stage upgrade program. Module I of the project (an estimated €57 million investment) was completed in November 2015, and involved the construction of a new runway, a terminal building, and the extension of the apron. On 20 August 2014, the first 1,800 m (5,906 ft) of the new runway 14/32 went into operation, whilst the entire length of 2,400 m (7,874 ft) became fully operational on 16 October 2014. The old runway 15/33 was converted into a taxiway. On 17 October 2015, the third terminal building (T3) with a processing capacity of 320 pax/hour, was inaugurated. A project which includes the expansion of T2 (that would double the terminal's area) was also proposed, in October 2015.
For the long term, the development project proposes other modules for the construction of a new passenger terminal, a new apron, two rapid-exit taxiways, a cargo terminal, an aircraft fuel depot, a new access roadway, as well as of a 600-metre (2,000 ft) extension for the runway to a total length of 3,000 m (9,843 ft).
On 13 November 2017, Iași Airport exceeded the 1,000,000 passenger mark.
The airport facilities consist of three terminals. Terminal T2 is used for domestic flights, T3 is mainly used to accommodate international flights, while the old terminal (T1) remained in service for general aviation operations.
|14/32||2,400 metres (7,874 ft)||45 metres (148 ft)||Cat. II (14)||Equipped at both ends with Approach Lighting Systems (ALSF II).|
Airlines and destinations
|Aegean Airlines||Seasonal charter: Heraklion|
|Air Bucharest||Seasonal charter: Antalya|
|Blue Air||Barcelona, Beauvais, Bergamo, Brussels, Bucharest, Cologne/Bonn, London–Luton, Munich, Rome–Fiumicino, Turin
Seasonal charter: Antalya, Zakynthos
|Ernest Airlines||Cuneo (begins 21 June 2018), Verona (begins 23 June 2018)|
|TAROM||Bucharest, London–Luton, Madrid (ends 24 March 2018), Tel Aviv–Ben Gurion, Timișoara (begins 25 March 2018), Turin (ends 23 March 2018)
Seasonal charter: Antalya, Chania, Rhodes
|Wizz Air||Beauvais (begins 7 July 2018), Bergamo, Billund (begins 9 July 2018), Bologna, Catania, Charleroi (begins 8 July 2018), Dortmund (begins 7 July 2018), Eindhoven (begins 8 July 2018), Larnaca, London–Luton, Malmö (begins 7 July 2018), Rome–Ciampino, Tel Aviv–Ben Gurion, Thessaloniki (begins 7 July 2018), Treviso|
Traffic and statistics
|Year||Passengers (% change from prior year)||Aircraft movements|
CTP, the public transit operator in Iași, provides service on route 50, to the Iași railway station, at specific times of day, correlated with flight arrivals and departures. As of September 2017, fare is 2 RON (€0.44) for a single-trip ticket.
|CTP Iași||50 Aeroport||Express service from Iași railway station to Iași Airport||Gara Iași - Piața Unirii (city centre) - Tg.Cucu - Aeroport|||
Various taxis have access to and from the airport. The charges vary around 2,50 RON/km.
- EAD Basic
- Iași Airport in 2013 at aeroport.ro (in Romanian)
- Anna.aero database
- "Aeroportul Iași este pe primul loc în zona Moldovei". ziaruldeiasi.ro.
- Airline companies in Rumania (1918-1945)[permanent dead link]
- 2013 Project presentation
- A new terminal for Iasi International Airport
- Airport modernisation project Archived 2013-03-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- Pistă de 3.000 de metri, un nou turn de control şi un nou drum de acces la Aeroport (in Romanian)
- Etapa a II-a a proiectului de modernizare a Aeroportului Iaşi a trecut de verificarea tehnico-economică (in Romanian)
- Development and modernization - Module I (in Romanian)
- Inaugurarea pistei Aeroportului (in Romanian)
- New runway at Iaşi International Airport
- Inauguration of T3 at ziaruldeiasi.ro (in Romanian)
- Note fundamentare (in Romanian)
- Preşedintele CJ Iaşi recunoaşte meritele conducerii Aeroportului Iaşi (in Romanian)
- AD LRIA Archived 2017-03-31 at the Wayback Machine.
- AIRAC AIP Sup Archived 2017-03-31 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ernest Airlines va opera din Italia către București și Iași
- "Aroportul Iasi in anul 2016". newsair.ro.
- "Transportul aeroportuar pe anul 2015" (PDF). INSSE.
- Topul aeroporturilor din Romania in 2012 (in Romanian)
- Access to European funds and the strategy for 2010, priorities for Iași County (in Romanian)
- ORDIN 169/1.801. Planul national de actiune privind reducerea emisiilor de gaze cu efect de seră în domeniul aviatiei civile (in Romanian)
- Press release for 2013 (in Romanian)
- Proiect de hotărâre privind aprobarea structurii organizatorice ale R.A. “Aeroportul” Iași.[permanent dead link] (in Romanian)
- Eurostat database
- "Transportul aeroportuar pe anul 2015" (PDF). INSSE. (in Romanian)
- Traseul autobuzului 50 a fost prelungit până la Gara Iași (in Romanian)
- Express Bus Route 50 schedule
- Cât costă o călătorie cu taxiul în oraşele din Moldova (in Romanian)
Media related to Iași International Airport at Wikimedia Commons