Iași International Airport
|Iași International Airport
Aeroportul Internațional Iași
|Operator||Iași County Council|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||397 ft / 121 m|
The Iași region earned its commercial representative status on 24 June 1926, when scheduled flights commenced on the route Bucharest – Galați – Iași – Chișinău. The flights were operated by Compagnie Franco-Roumaine de Navigation Aérienne - CFRNA, in 1930 renamed LARES.
In 1966, a north–south concrete runway, 15/33, with a total length of 1,800 m (5,906 ft), and a modern lighting system, were built, followed, three years later, by the construction of a new passenger terminal. In 2001, the passenger terminal was upgraded in order to use separate flows for domestic and international flights and, in 2005, an instrument landing system CAT II was implemented.
In June 2012, a passenger terminal (named Terminal T2) was added, to increase the total processing capacity to 215 pax/hour. The terminal was designated to be used for Schengen/domestic flights. The old terminal has been renamed Terminal T1.
On 20 August 2014, the first 1,800 m (5,906 ft) of a new runway 14/32 went into operation, whilst the entire length of 2,400 m (7,874 ft) became fully operational on 16 October 2014. The old runway 15/33 was converted into a taxiway.
On 17 October 2015, a new terminal building (T3) with a processing capacity of 320 pax/hour, was inaugurated.
Current and future development
In 2013, Iași International Airport started a long-term, multi-stage upgrade program. Module I of the project (an estimated €57 million investment), completed in November 2015, involved the construction of a new 2,400 m (7,874 ft) runway, a terminal building (T3), and the extension of the apron.
In October 2015, a project which includes the expansion of T2 (that would double the terminal's area) was proposed.
For the long term, the development project proposes other modules for the construction, at the eastern side of the runway, of a new passenger terminal, a new apron, two rapid-exit taxiways, a cargo terminal, an aircraft fuel depot, a new access roadway, as well as of a 600 m (1,969 ft) extension for the runway (to a total length of 3,000 m (9,843 ft)).
The airport facilities consist of three terminals. Terminal T2 is used for domestic flights, T3 is mainly used to accommodate international flights, while the old terminal (T1) remained in service for general aviation operations.
Airlines and destinations
|Aegean Airlines||Seasonal charter: Heraklion|
|Air Bucharest||Seasonal charter: Antalya|
|Blue Air||Barcelona (begins 27 March 2016), Beauvais, Brussels (begins 30 March 2016), Bucharest, Cologne/Bonn (begins 3 June 2016), London-Luton, Rome-Fiumicino
Seasonal charter: Zakynthos
|TAROM||Bologna, Bucharest, Istanbul-Atatürk (begins 9 December 2015), London-Luton, Munich, Rome-Fiumicino, Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion, Turin
Seasonal charter: Antalya, Chania, Rhodes
|Wizz Air||Bergamo, London-Luton, Treviso|
Traffic and statistics
In 2014, the airport served 273,047 passengers, a 17.7% increase compared to the previous year, partly due to the start of three new external routes (Tel Aviv, Bergamo and Treviso).
|Year||Passengers||Compared to Previous Year||Aircraft movements|
|Bucharest||Henri Coandă International Airport||
|Turin||Turin Caselle Airport||
|Milan||Il Caravaggio International Airport||
|Tel Aviv||Ben Gurion Airport||
RATP, the public transit operator in Iași, provides service on route 50, to the city centre (Piața Unirii/Union Square), at specific times of day, correlated with flight arrivals and departures. As of October 2015, fare is 2 RON (€0.45) for a single trip ticket. Depending on its viability, the service could later extend to Iași central railway station.
Various taxis have access to and from the airport. The charges vary around 2 RON/km.
- EAD Basic
- Iași Airport in 2013 at aeroport.ro (Romanian)
- Anna.aero database
- Press release for 2013 (Romanian)
- Airline companies in Rumania (1918-1945)
- 2013 Project presentation
- A new terminal for Iasi International Airport
- Inaugurarea pistei Aeroportului (Romanian)
- New runway at Iaşi International Airport
- Inauguration of T3 at ziaruldeiasi.ro (Romanian)
- Airport modernisation project
- Pistă de 3.000 de metri, un nou turn de control şi un nou drum de acces la Aeroport (Romanian)
- Etapa a II-a a proiectului de modernizare a Aeroportului Iaşi a trecut de verificarea tehnico-economică (Romanian)
- Development and modernization - Module I (Romanian)
- Note fundamentare (Romanian)
- Inaugurare noul terminal/
- Topul aeroporturilor din Romania in 2012 (Romanian)
- Access to European funds and the strategy for 2010, priorities for Iași County (Romanian)
- ORDIN 169/1.801. Planul national de actiune privind reducerea emisiilor de gaze cu efect de seră în domeniul aviatiei civile (Romanian)
- Proiect de hotărâre privind aprobarea structurii organizatorice ale R.A. “Aeroportul” Iași. (Romanian)
- Iași Airport flight timetable
- Curse RATP la Aeroportul International Iasi
Media related to Iaşi International Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Airport website
- Location of Iaşi International Airport on Google Maps
- Analiza diagnostic şi prognoză de trafic (Romanian)