Iași International Airport
Iași International Airport
Aeroportul Internațional Iași
|Operator||Iași County Council|
|Focus city for||Wizz Air|
|Elevation AMSL||411 ft / 125 m|
Iași International Airport (IATA: IAS, ICAO: LRIA) is an international airport located in Iași, Romania, 8 km (5 mi) east of the city centre. One of the oldest accredited airports in Romania, Iași Airport is the fourth-busiest airport in Romania in terms of passenger traffic, and the most important airport in the historical region of Moldavia.
The Iași region earned its commercial representative status on 24 June 1926, when scheduled flights commenced on the route Bucharest – Galați – Iași – Chișinău. The flights were operated by Compagnie Franco-Roumaine de Navigation Aérienne - CFRNA, in 1930 renamed LARES.
In 1966, a north–south concrete runway, 15/33, with a total length of 1,800 m (5,906 ft), and a modern lighting system, were built, followed three years later by the construction of a passenger terminal. In 2001, the passenger terminal was upgraded to use separate flows for domestic and international flights.
In June 2012, a new passenger terminal, named Terminal T2, was added, increasing the total processing capacity to 215 pax/hour. The terminal was designated to be used for Schengen/domestic flights. The old terminal has been renamed Terminal T1.
In 2013, Iași International Airport started a long-term, multi-stage upgrade program. Module I of the project (an estimated €57 million investment) was completed in November 2015, and involved the construction of a new runway, a terminal building, and the extension of the apron. On 20 August 2014, the first 1,800 m (5,906 ft) of the new runway 14/32 went into operation, whilst the entire length of 2,400 m (7,874 ft) became fully operational on 16 October 2014. The old runway 15/33 was converted into a taxiway. On 17 October 2015, the third terminal building (T3) with a processing capacity of 320 pax/hour, was inaugurated. A project which includes the expansion of T2 (that would double the terminal's area) was also proposed, in October 2015.
For the long term, the development project proposes other modules for the construction of a new passenger terminal, a new apron, two rapid-exit taxiways, a cargo terminal, an aircraft fuel depot, a new access roadway, as well as of a 600-metre (2,000 ft) extension for the runway to a total length of 3,000 m (9,843 ft).
On 13 November 2017, Iași Airport exceeded the 1,000,000 passenger mark.
The airport facilities consist of three terminals. The old terminal T1 and the recently opened T3 are used to accommodate international flights, while T2 is used for domestic flights.
|14/32||2,400 metres (7,874 ft)||45 metres (148 ft)||Cat. II (14)||Equipped at both ends with Approach Lighting Systems (ALSF II).|
Airlines and destinations
|Air Bucharest||Seasonal charter: Antalya|
|Blue Air|| Bucharest, London-Heathrow (begins 18 May 2021) |
Seasonal charter: Antalya, Heraklion
|Corendon Airlines||Seasonal charter: Antalya, Heraklion |
|HiSky||Dublin (begins 29 April 2021)|
|Lufthansa||Frankfurt (begins 21 May 2021)|
|Wizz Air|| Barcelona, Bari, Beauvais, Bergamo, Billund, Birmingham, Bologna, Catania, Charleroi, Dortmund, Eindhoven, Larnaca, Liverpool, London–Luton, Rome–Ciampino, Tel Aviv, Treviso, Turin|
Seasonal: Santorini (begins 13 June 2021)
Traffic and statistics
|Year||PassengersA (% change from previous year)||Aircraft movementsB|
CTP, the public transit operator in Iași, provides service on route 50, to the Iași railway station, at specific times of the day, correlated with flight arrivals and departures. As of November 2018, the fare is 2.5 RON (€0.54) for a single-trip ticket.
|CTP Iași||50 Aeroport||Express service from Iași railway station to Iași Airport||Gara Iași - Piața Unirii (city centre) - Tg.Cucu - Aeroport|||
Various taxis have access to and from the airport. The charges vary around 2.50 RON/km.
It can also be reached from the Republic of Moldova by road, the airport is located near the border.
- EAD Basic
- Iași Airport in 2013 at aeroport.ro (in Romanian)
- Anna.aero database
- "Aeroportul a fost cu 10% mai aglomerat anul trecut decât în 2017". ziaruldeiasi.ro.
- "Aeroportul Iași este pe primul loc în zona Moldovei". ziaruldeiasi.ro.
- Airline companies in Romania (1918-1945)
- "2013 Project presentation" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- A new terminal for Iasi International Airport
- Airport modernisation project Archived 2013-03-18 at the Wayback Machine
- Pistă de 3.000 de metri, un nou turn de control și un nou drum de acces la Aeroport (in Romanian)
- Etapa a II-a a proiectului de modernizare a Aeroportului Iași a trecut de verificarea tehnico-economică Archived 2014-10-16 at the Wayback Machine (in Romanian)
- Development and modernization - Module I Archived 2016-03-03 at the Wayback Machine (in Romanian)
- Inaugurarea pistei Aeroportului (in Romanian)
- New runway at Iași International Airport
- Inauguration of T3 at ziaruldeiasi.ro (in Romanian)
- Note fundamentare Archived 2016-08-28 at the Wayback Machine (in Romanian)
- Președintele CJ Iași recunoaște meritele conducerii Aeroportului Iași (in Romanian)
- AD LRIA Archived 2017-03-31 at the Wayback Machine
- AIRAC AIP Sup Archived 2017-03-31 at the Wayback Machine
- "Charter programme". kusadasi.ro.
- "Flight schedule". animawings.com.
- "Blue Air intends to operate flights from Iasi to London Heathrow". boardingpass.ro.
- "Flight Schedules and Airline Availability". tez-tour.com.
- Liu, Jim (27 January 2020). "Corendon Airlines S20 Network expansion". routesonline.com.
- "New route: Iași - Frankfurt with Lufthansa from May 2021". boardingpass.ro.
- "Tarom introduces from the 8th of April new nonstop flights". zf.ro.
- "New routes: Cluj - Mykonos, Cluj - Zakynthos and Iasi - Santorini with Wizz Air". boardingpass.ro.
- "Aeroportul Iasi in anul 2016". newsair.ro. Archived from the original on 2017-10-21. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "Transportul aeroportuar pe anul 2015" (PDF). INSSE.
- Topul aeroporturilor din Romania in 2012 Archived 2014-02-17 at the Wayback Machine (in Romanian)
- Access to European funds and the strategy for 2010, priorities for Iași County (in Romanian)
- ORDIN 169/1.801. Planul national de actiune privind reducerea emisiilor de gaze cu efect de seră în domeniul aviatiei civile (in Romanian)
- Press release for 2013 Archived 2014-02-22 at the Wayback Machine (in Romanian)
- Proiect de hotărâre privind aprobarea structurii organizatorice ale R.A. “Aeroportul” Iași.[permanent dead link] (in Romanian)
- Eurostat database
- "Transportul aeroportuar pe anul 2015" (PDF) (in Romanian). INSSE.
- Traseul autobuzului 50 a fost prelungit până la Gara Iași (in Romanian)
- Express Bus Route 50 schedule
- Cât costă o călătorie cu taxiul în orașele din Moldova (in Romanian)
Media related to Iași International Airport at Wikimedia Commons