Herrerín with Athletic Bilbao in 2014
|Full name||Iago Herrerín Buisán|
|Date of birth||25 January 1988|
|Place of birth||Bilbao, Spain|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|2007||→ Barakaldo (loan)||18||(0)|
|2010–2012||Atlético Madrid B||75||(1)|
|2012–2013||→ Numancia (loan)||34||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:02, 23 May 2016 (UTC).
In July 2010, Herrerín decided to leave Athletic in search for "a new life in football", signing a contract with Atlético Madrid and playing two full seasons with the reserves, also in the third level.
Return to Athletic
Herrerín returned to Athletic Bilbao in the 2012 summer, signing a two-year deal and immediately being loaned to CD Numancia in a season-long move. On 18 August he made his Segunda División debut, in a 2–0 home win against Sporting de Gijón.
In July 2013, Herrerín signed a new contract extension with the Lions and was definitively promoted to the main squad. On 23 August he played his first match in La Liga, keeping a clean sheet in a 2–0 win over CA Osasuna at the Anoeta Stadium; he spent his first year, however, as backup to longtime incumbent Gorka Iraizoz.
In the 2014–15 campaign, Herrerín was first-choice in the Copa del Rey, helping his team reach the final of the tournament for the first time in three years. On 25 May 2015 he signed a new deal with the club, running until 2017.
In 2015–16, Herrerín played both domestic cup and UEFA Europa League matches while appearing twice in the league during Iraizoz' red card suspension. On 8 June 2016, he agreed to a contract extension until 2019.
- Athletic Bilbao
- Iago Herrerín, cedido al Barakaldo (Iago Herrerín, loaned to Barakaldo); Athletic Bilbao, 7 January 2007 (Spanish)
- Iago Herrerín y Andrés Muñoz echan el cierre a la portería del Atlético B (Iago Herrerín and Andrés Muñoz close Atlético B's goal); Atlético Madrid, 30 July 2010 (Spanish)
- Iago revivirá su mejor día (Iago will look back on his best day); Diario AS, 13 November 2011 (Spanish)
- El Athletic ficha al portero Iago Herrerín y lo cede al Numancia (Athletic signs goalkeeper Iago Herrerín and loans him to Numancia); Marca, 1 July 2012 (Spanish)
- El Sporting se estrella en su debut en Soria (Sporting crashes in debut in Soria); Marca, 18 August 2012 (Spanish)
- Iago Herrerín renueva con el Athletic hasta 2016 (Iago Herrerín renews with Athletic until 2016); Diario AS, 15 July 2013 (Spanish)
- Athletic Bilbao 2–0 Osasuna: Los Leones see off Basque rivals at the Anoeta; Inside Spanish Football, 23 August 2013
- Como manda la tradición (Will of tradition); Marca, 4 March 2015 (Spanish)
- Messi es el Rey León (Messi is the Lion King); Marca, 30 May 2015 (Spanish)
- Etxeita and Herrerín renew; Athletic Bilbao, 25 May 2015
- "Herrerín repetirá en Liga por la sanción a Iraizoz y Remiro será su suplente" [Herrerín will appear again in League due to Iraizoz's suspension and Remiro will be his substitute]. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 21 January 2016. Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- Ugalde, Iñaki (2 February 2016). "El futuro de la portería rojiblanca está blindado" [The future of the red-and-white goal is tied up]. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "Iago Herrerín's renewal". Athletic Bilbao. 8 June 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.