Iain Robertson Brines (born 22 July 1967) was a Scottish football referee in the Scottish Premier League. Brines has been a referee since 1989 and was a FIFA-listed referee from 2003; as of 2013, however, he is no longer included on the FIFA list, having reached the international retirement age of 45. He refereed in full international matches, as well as matches in the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup tournaments.
Brines was criticised for his performance by both managers after a match between Motherwell and Rangers on 31 October 2007 at Fir Park. In one case, Walter Smith commented when Brines failed to award a penalty when Nacho Novo, a Rangers player, was fouled inside the penalty box. Mark McGhee was unhappy about another incident where Brines awarded a corner to Rangers, despite a foul on the Motherwell goalkeeper, Graeme Smith. As a result of this corner, Nacho Novo scored for Rangers.
Brines was also criticised by Clyde manager, Graham Roberts, when, in a game between Clyde and Gretna, Brines sent off Clyde player, Alex Williams for an alleged kick at Chris Innes, which was subsequently proved correct by video evidence.
- "Scottish Football Association - Referee Profile" - Accessed 23 January 2008
- FIFA. "Scotland: Referees". Retrieved on 7 June 2013.
- Morrison, Neil. "International Matches 2004 - Europe". RSSSF, 2 February 2005. Retrieved on 7 June 2013.
- Haisma, Marcel & Saaid, Hamdan. "UEFA Champions League, UEFA Cup 2007/08 Details". RSSSF, 11 July 2008. Retrieved on 7 June 2013.
- UEFA. "Anorthosis 1-0 Dinamo Minsk". 20 July 2005. Retrieved on 7 June 2013.
- BBC News "Clyde's Williams appeal rejected" - Accessed 1 November 2007