|Occupation||Psychiatrist, writer, lecturer|
|Known for||The book The Master and His Emissary|
Iain McGilchrist (born 1953) is a psychiatrist, writer, and former Oxford literary scholar. McGilchrist came to prominence after the publication of his book The Master and His Emissary, subtitled The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World.
McGilchrist read English at New College, Oxford, but having published Against Criticism in 1982, he later retrained in medicine and has been a neuroimaging researcher at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore and a Consultant Psychiatrist at the Maudsley Hospital in south London. McGilchrist is a Fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, and has three times been elected a Fellow of All Souls College, Oxford.
According to his web site in 2009, at the time The Master and His Emissary was published, McGilchrist worked privately as a consultant psychiatrist in London. He still lives on the Isle of Skye, off the coast of Scotland and continues to write, and to deliver many lectures and interviews.
- McGilchrist, Iain (24 May 1982). Against Criticism. London, England: Faber and Faber. ISBN 0-571-11922-0. (Hardcover)
- McGilchrist, I.; Cutting, J. (1995). "Somatic delusions in schizophrenia and the affective psychoses". British Journal of Psychiatry. Royal College of Psychiatrists. 167 (3): 350–361. doi:10.1192/bjp.167.3.350. PMID 7496644. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- McGilchrist, Iain (June 2009). "A Problem of Symmetries". Philosophy, Psychiatry, & Psychology. The Johns Hopkins University Press. 16 (2): 161–169. doi:10.1353/ppp.0.0236 (inactive 31 May 2021). Retrieved 2010-02-06.CS1 maint: DOI inactive as of May 2021 (link) E-ISSN 1086-3303. Print ISSN 1071-6076.
- McGilchrist, Iain (9 October 2009). The Master and His Emissary: The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World. USA: Yale University Press. ISBN 978-0-300-14878-7. (Hardcover)
- Staff (2019). "The Divided Brain". Paris Institute of Political Studies. Archived from the original on 3 March 2020. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- Kingerlee, Roger; Testa, Rita (2011). "Review of The Master and his Emissary". Neuropsychoanalysis. Karnac Books for the International Neuropsychoanalysis Society. 12 (2): 222–226.
- Staff (2009). "Scientific and Medical Network Annual Gathering 2009 (pdf)" (PDF). The Scientific and Medical Network. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 December 2010. Retrieved 2009-12-22.
- McGilchrist, Iain (2009). "About Iain – Iain McGilchrist". iainmcgilchrist.com. Archived from the original on 23 April 2018. Retrieved 23 April 2018. From the author's web site 'About' page.
- Staff (2019). "About Iain – Iain McGilchrist". ianmcgilchrist.com. Archived from the original on 26 February 2020. Retrieved 26 February 2020.
- Staff (2019). "A Day of Consciousness". The Weekend University. Archived from the original on 26 February 2020. Retrieved 26 February 2020.