||This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (August 2013)|
27 May 1981 |
|Known for||Small Faces, Grange Hill, Rab C. Nesbitt|
|Awards||BAFTA, Ian Charleson Award, twice nominee.|
He portrayed Lex in cult Glasgow gang film, Small Faces, though Robertson is also known for his work in the long-running children's drama, Grange Hill and The Debt Collector, also starring comedian and actor Billy Connolly.
Robertson grew up in a family of seven in a tenement in Govan, Glasgow. He held no thoughts of becoming an actor until he received a report from a primary school teacher, Mr O'Kane, stating: "this boy has a special aptitude for drama".
Robertson has said: "growing up in Govan put fire in my belly, made me push harder and also appreciate the things that have come my way".
At the age of 11, Robertson went on to join a local dramatic arts group. He set about producing his own play, co-written and directed by friends Leah Beattie, Kelly Mitchell, and John Rennie. Soon after, he won a scholarship to the Sylvia Young Theatre School in London.
Robertson portrayed Craig Stevenson in the paranormal drama series Sea of Souls.
He also appeared in the big screen sequel Basic Instinct 2: Risk Addiction, alongside American actress Sharon Stone. In a prolific period, Robertson also took parts in the thriller The Contractor with Wesley Snipes. He joined the cast of Rab C. Nesbitt returning to the streets of his youth replacing Andrew Farlie as Nesbitt's son Gash.
Robertson has worked extensively in British theatre, most notably in the Millennium production of Bill Bryden's The Mysteries at The Royal National Theatre and alongside Derek Jacobi in Michael Grandage's production of The Tempest at the Old Vic theatre.
Subsequently Iain has appeared as Spanky in a revival of John Byrne's Slab Boys trilogy, and as Romeo in Romeo and Juliet at the Citizens' Theatre. In 2009 he performed at the Lyceum Theatre in Edinburgh, in a theatre adaptation of James Hogg's "Confessions of a Justified Sinner" .
- Whisky Galore (2015)
- Pale Star (2015)
- Acts of Godfrey (2010)
- Rab C. Nesbitt (2008) (TV series)
- Next Time Ned (2009)
- The Contractor (2007)
- Basic Instinct 2 (2006)
- Casualty (2005) (TV series)
- Sea of Souls (2004) (TV series)
- One Last Chance (2004)
- Gunpowder, Treason & Plot (2003) (TV series)
- Taggart (2002) (TV series)
- Band of Brothers (2001) (miniseries)
- Watchmen (2001)
- Hereafter (2000) (TV series)
- Fat Chance (2000)
- Homesick (2000)
- Oliver Twist (1999) (miniseries)
- Rebus (1999) (TV series)
- The Match (1999)
- Poached (1998)
- Grange Hill (TV series) (1998)
- Plunkett & Macleane (1998)
- The Debt Collector (1998)
- Bramwell (1998) (TV series)
- Psychos (1998) (TV series)
- Trail By Jury (1997) (TV series)
- The Bill (1997) (TV series)
- Silent Witness (1996) (TV series)
- A Mugs Game (1996) (TV series)
- Bodyguards (1996) (TV series)
- Small Faces (1996)
- Kavanagh QC (1995) (TV series)
Selected theatre credits
- The Mysteries (1999) (Royal National Theatre)
- The Good Hope (2000) (Royal National Theatre)
- Romeo & Juliet (2006) (Citizens Theatre)
- Blood Wedding (2006) (Citizens Theatre)
- The Slab Boys Trilogy (2003) (Traverse Theatre)
- The Winters Tale (2000) (Royal National Theatre)
- The Tempest (2002) (Old Vic/Sheffield Crucible)
- Passing Places (2001) (Greenwich Theatre)
- Strangers, Babies (2006) (Traverse Theatre)
- Small Craft Warnings (2008) (Arcola Theatre)
- Confessions of a Justified Sinner (2009) (Royal Lyceum Theatre)
- Takin Over the Asylum (2013)
- Taming of the Shrew (2013)
- Lysistrata (2010)
- My Romantic History (2010) (Bush Theatre)
Selected radio credits
- McLevy: The Blue Gown (2011)
- An Audience with Ed Reardon (2010)
- The Sensitive (2010)
- My Blue Hen (2009)
- The Astronaut (2009)
- Tough Love (2008)
- Jimmy Murphy Makes Amends (2008)
- Rebus - Black & Blue (2008)
- Saturday, Sunday, Monday (2007)
- The Tenderness of Wolves (2007)
- Faust (2006)
- The Best Snow for Skiing (2005)
- Japanese Tales (2004)
- Soft Fall the Sounds of Eden (2004)
- Just Prose (2003)
- The Nativity (2003)
- The Passion (2003)
- The Prisoner of Papa Stour (1996)
- BAFTA (1996, for Small Faces)
- Ian Charleson Commendation (1999, for The Mysteries)
- Ian Charleson Award 3rd Prize (2002, for The Tempest)
- BAFTA (2005, for Sea of Souls)
- Edinburgh Fringe First (2010, for My Romantic History)
- "Iain Robertson". Sunnygovan.com. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Iain Robertson". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- [dead link]
- "Interview: Rab C Nesbitt actors Iain Robertson and Cora Bissett". The Scotsman. 2010-01-17. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- Masters, Tim (2011-09-27). "BBC News - Acts of Godfrey film is a first for verse". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Theatre reviews: Confessions Of A Justified Sinner | The Curse Of The Demeter | Memory Cells". The Scotsman. 2009-10-21. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Fallout as two worlds collide ...". Herald Scotland. 2010-08-09. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Theatre review: My Romantic History at Crucible Studio Theatre, Sheffield". Britishtheatreguide.info. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Angels | Joyce McMillan - Online". Joycemcmillan.wordpress.com. 2011-09-14. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- [dead link]
- "Seal of souls as star Iain gets wed. - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Biography for Iain Robertson". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "UK | Scotland | Star relieved after friend cleared". BBC News. 2004-02-06. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "DOUGRAY GETS HIS MISSION ACCOMPLISHED; Pal in the clear after star gives evidence. - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Theatre review: Cuttin' A Rug at Traverse, Edinburgh". Britishtheatreguide.info. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "The Match (1999) Movie Review from". Eye for Film. 2001-01-19. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "BBC Radio 4 - Afternoon Drama, McLevy - Series 8, The Blue Gown". Bbc.co.uk. 2011-11-29. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "BBC Radio 4 - An Audience with Ed Reardon". Bbc.co.uk. 2011-01-03. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "The Sensitive: A Nobody by Alastair Jessiman". Radiodramareviews.com. 2010-03-24. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "BBC Radio Scotland - The Blue Hen". Bbc.co.uk. 2011-01-06. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- BBC – Scottish Shorts – The Astronaut
- "BBC Radio 4 - Friday Drama, Tough Love". Bbc.co.uk. 2013-02-15. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- BBC – Afternoon Play – Jimmy Murphy Makes Amends
- "BBC Radio 4 Extra - Ian Rankin - Rebus, Black and Blue, Episode 1". Bbc.co.uk. 2013-08-17. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- BBC – Woman's Hour Drama – The Tenderness of Wolves
- "BBC Radio 3 - Drama on 3, Doctor Faustus". Bbc.co.uk. 2008-06-15. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "The Best Snow For Skiing". Radiolistings.co.uk. 2013-06-06. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Drama on 3 - Three Japanese Gothic Tales". BBC. 2004-12-26. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Soft Fall The Sounds Of Eden". Radiolistings.co.uk. 2013-06-06. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "THE NATIVITY National Theatre". Promenade Productions. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "THE PASSION National Theatre". Promenade Productions. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "iainrobertfans - Profile". Iainrobertfans.livejournal.com. Retrieved 2013-10-04.