This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||8700 Mason-Montgomery Rd., Mason, Ohio, United States|
|Products||Dog food, cat food, animal health products|
|Owner||Mars, Inc (worldwide except Europe)|
Spectrum Brands (Europe)
Iams (//) is a popular brand name for dog food and cat food manufactured by Spectrum Brands in Europe and Mars, Inc worldwide. The company sells pet food for cats and dogs formulated for puppy/kitten, adult and mature. Its products are developed by nutritionists and veterinarians and can be found in three main formulas: ProActive Health, Healthy Naturals and Premium Protection. Veterinary formulas for pets with special dietary requirements are also available.
During the 1940s, because pet food was not available in stores, animals were predominantly fed homemade food, usually table scraps. Paul Iams, an animal nutritionist who graduated from Ohio State University in 1938, founded The Iams Company in 1946 in a small feed mill near Dayton. In 1950, he developed the world’s first animal-based protein, dry dog food and called it Iams 999. In 1969, Paul Iams formulated a new dog food and named it Eukanuba. Prior to founding Iams and Eukanuba, he worked for a number of companies including his father’s feed business in Dayton, Ohio.
In 1973 during the Arab oil embargo, the costs for meat and bone meal tripled, but sale prices were frozen by a nationwide wage and price control issued by then-President Richard Nixon. Iams did not change the product formula during the price freeze mandate and the company nearly went broke. Clay Mathile, who joined Iams in 1970, purchased half of the company in 1975. By 1982, he became the sole owner and president. After expanding the company from $100,000 revenue in 1970 to $900 million in 1999, Mathile sold it to P&G in September 1999. In July 2006, P&G reorganized the Pet Health & Nutrition division into P&G Pet Care (consisting of the Iams and Eukanuba brands).
In its largest divestiture in five years, Procter & Gamble announced in April 2014 that it would sell its Iams, Eukanuba and Natura pet food brands in all markets except Europe to Mars, Incorporated for $2.9 billion in cash. P&G said the deal would allow it to lose a slow performer and generate cash to grow core businesses. The deal for P&G Pet Care's operations in North America and Latin America was completed in August, 2014. Mars, Inc also exercised options to acquire P&G’s pet food business in some parts of Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, including Australia, Japan and Singapore. P&G sold its European pet care business to Spectrum Brands in December 2014.
Iams Home 4 the Holidays
In 1999, Helen Woodward Animal Center and Iams established Iams Home 4 the Holidays (IH4TH), a holiday pet adoption drive. The drive started with 14 animal rescue organizations in San Diego and has expanded its network to more than 3,500 in 21 different countries. Since it began in 1999, the adoption program has helped place more than 4.6 million pets into homes.
In 2008 and 2009, actresses and pet adoption advocates Felicity Huffman and Hilary Swank served as the celebrity ambassadors for the IH4TH program, respectively. In 2010, five million meals were donated to network animal shelters through the IH4TH Bags 4 Bowls program.
In 2002, a film by animal rights organizations PETA criticized Iams for the way the company conducted animal research at external laboratories. Iams ended its relationship with the Sinclair Research Center in 2003, stating that the filmed activity was contrary to the company's strict long-standing animal studies policies. According to Iams, since 2006, studies have been conducted in pet owners' homes, P&G Pet Care's Pet Health & Nutrition Center, and locations where dogs and cats are already living such as assistance dog organizations. This center and these studies are subjected to unannounced examinations by the ASPCA.
- "History". Juggle". Archived from the original on 2011-01-11. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "Iams History". Coupon for Dog[permanent dead link]
- "Iams History". Pet Food Talk
- "Iams History". Food Coupons
- "Iams History". Reference for Business
- "Iams History". Funding Universe
- "Clay Mathile". Business Courier
- "sold to P&G ". All Voices". Archived from the original on 2012-10-04. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- Wahba, Phil (April 9, 2014). "P&G selling pet food brands to Mars for $2.9 billion". Reuters. Retrieved March 5, 2016.
- Mars, Inc. press release, 1 Aug 2014
- "Spectrum Brands Holdings Completes Acquisition of the European IAMS and Eukanuba Pet Food Business". Business Wire. December 31, 2014. Retrieved March 4, 2016.
- "Iams Home 4 the Holidays". Pawcurious
- ""Iams Home 4 the Holidays Celebrity Ambassadors". Dogtipper". Archived from the original on 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "Iams Home 4 the Holidays Bags 4 Bowls". Dogtime
- "Iams Home 4 the Holidays Bags 4 Bowls". 4 the Love of Animals
- "Iams Animal Study Policy". Iams website
- "ASPCA Examinations". Iams Truth