This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ian Birchall (born 1939) is a British Marxist historian and translator, a former member of the Socialist Workers Party and author of numerous articles and books, particularly relating to the French Left. Formerly Senior Lecturer in French at Middlesex University, his research interests include the Comintern, the International Working Class, Communism and Trotskyism, France and Syndicalism, Babeuf, Sartre, Victor Serge and Alfred Rosmer. He is on the editorial board of Revolutionary History, a member of the London Socialist Historians Group and has completed a biography of Tony Cliff.
- France : the struggle goes on (with Tony Cliff) (1968)
- Workers against the monolith : the Communist parties since 1943 (1974)
- The smallest mass party in the world : building the Socialist Workers Party, 1951-1979 (1981)
- Eric Hobsbawm and the working class (with Norah Carlin) (1983)
- Bailing out the system : reformist socialism in Western Europe, 1944-1985 (1986)
- Morris, Bax and Babeuf (1996)
- The spectre of Babeuf (1997)
- Sartre against Stalinism (2004)
- A Rebel's Guide to Lenin (2005)
- Sartre's Century (2005)
- Tony Cliff: A Marxist for His Time (2011)
- Lenin's Moscow, by Alfred Rosmer (translated from the French) (1971)
- Flowers and revolution : a collection of writings on Jean Genet (edited with Barbara Read)(1997)
- Witness to the German Revolution / by Victor Serge (translated from the French) (1999)
- The German Revolution, 1917-1923 / by Pierre Broué; translated by John Archer (edited with Brian Pearce) (2005)
- Revolution in Danger – Writings from Russia 1919-20 by Victor Serge (translated from the French) London: Redwords.(1997)
- Ian Birchall "Sartre was an Optimist, not a Nihilist". The Guardian, 25 July 2007. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- Ian Birchall "2013: Letter of Resignation", Grim and Dim, 15 December 2013
- Bennetts, Russell (2015). Poets for Corbyn (PDF). Pendant Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9928034-5-2.
- Bennetts, Russell (25 August 2015). "Yes we scan: Poets line up for Jeremy Corbyn". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 July 2017.
- Articles in the Marxists Internet Archive
- Profile at Comment is Free
- Tony Cliff Bibliography - the writings and works of Tony Cliff by Ian Birchall on Modkraft.dk/tidsskriftcentret
- "Grim and Dim", The website of Ian Birchall
|This article about a British historian or genealogist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|