Brzezinski in 2004
Ian Joseph Brzezinski|
December 23, 1963
|Alma mater||Williams College|
|Occupation||Foreign policy expert|
Mark Brzezinski (brother)|
Mika Brzezinski (sister)
Matthew Brzezinski (cousin)
Ian Joseph Brzezinski (born December 23, 1963) is an American foreign policy and military affairs expert.
He served as a member of the Policy Planning Staff in the Department of Defense in 1991–1993, and was also a consultant to the Center for Naval Analysis in 1991–1992.
He returned to the United States in 1995, and became Legislative Assistant for National Security Affairs to Senator William V. Roth. In 2000, he became a Senior Professional Staff Member for the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.
He served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Europe and NATO Policy in 2001–2005.
After leaving the Defense Department, Brzezinski became a Principal at the consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton, Inc., providing policy and technical advice to U.S. combatant commands and foreign clients. He left Booz Allen Hamilton after five years, and now heads the Brzezinski Group, which provides similar services: " ... a strategic advisory firm serving U.S. and international commercial clients in the financial, energy, and defense sectors. The Brzezinski Group assists them navigate geopolitical developments, develop and execute market entry and opportunity capture strategies, and manage relationships with government entities."
Brzezinski is a frequent contributor to the American press on foreign policy issues.
For his public service, Brzezinski has been awarded
- Department of Defense Medal for Distinguished Public Service
- Order of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas
- Award of Ministry of Defence of Latvia
- Romanian Medal for National Service, Order of Commander
- Order of Merit, Republic of Poland, Officer Class.
Ian Brzezinski is the son of foreign-policy expert Zbigniew Brzezinski and sculptor Emilie Benes Brzezinski, and the brother of American lawyer and foreign policy expert Mark Brzezinski and American television news journalist Mika Brzezinski. He is first cousin of Matthew Brzezinski.
He is married to Ginny Flynn-Brzezinski, and has a son, William Zbigniew Brzezinski (born 1999).
- State Department Reform Archived 2009-08-14 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ian Brzezinski New Atlantic Council Senior Fellow Archived 2010-11-19 at the Wayback Machine.
- NATO and America, Obama’s Five Challenges at Lisbon, NATO's missing agenda item in Lisbon
- Roth Staff Delivers