Ian P. Goulden
|Alma mater||University of Waterloo|
|Institutions||University of Waterloo|
|Thesis||Combinatorial Decompositions in the Theory of Algebraic Enumeration (1979)|
|Doctoral advisor||David M. Jackson|
Ian P. Goulden is a Canadian and British mathematician. He works as a professor at the University of Waterloo in the department of Combinatorics and Optimization. He obtained his PhD from the University of Waterloo in 1979 under the supervision of David M. Jackson. His PhD thesis was titled Combinatorial Decompositions in the Theory of Algebraic Enumeration. Goulden is well known for his contributions in enumerative combinatorics such as the Goulden-Jackson cluster method.
Awards and Honors
In 2010 Goulden was elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. In 2009 received the University of Waterloo Faculty of Mathematics Award for Distinction in Teaching, and in 1976 he received the Alumni Gold Medal for highest academic achievement at the University of Waterloo.
Goulden and Jackson published the book Combinatorial Enumeration. Goulden also published the book Finite Mathematics with R.G. Dunkley, R.J. MacKay, K.S. Brown, R.F. de Peiza, D.A. DiFelice, and D.E. Matthews. He has written over 90 research articles in the fields of Combinatorics, Enumerative Combinatorics, and Algebraic Geometry.
- Goulden, I. P. and Jackson, D. M. (2004). Combinatorial Enumeration. ISBN 0486435970.
- Goulden, I. P.; Jackson, David M.; Vakil, R. (2005). "Towards the Geometry of Double Hurwitz Numbers". Advances in Mathematics. 198: 43–92. arXiv:math/0309440. doi:10.1016/j.aim.2005.01.008. S2CID 8872816.
- Goulden, I. P.; Jackson, D. M.; Vainshtein, A (2000). "The number of ramified coverings of the sphere by the torus and surfaces of higher genera". Annals of Combinatorics. 4: 27–46. arXiv:math/9902125. doi:10.1007/PL00001274. S2CID 16725623.
- Goulden, I. P.; Jackson, D. M. (1997). "Transitive factorisations into transpositions and holomorphic mappings on the sphere". Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 125: 381–436. doi:10.1090/S0002-9939-97-03880-X.
- "Faculty of Mathematics Deans". University of Waterloo website. 24 November 2016.
- "'Math nerd' now at the faculty's helm". University of Waterloo website.
- "University of Waterloo Distinguished Teaching Award Winners". University of Waterloo website. 20 April 2015.
- "University of Waterloo Alumni Gold Medal Winners". University of Waterloo website. 2 March 2012.
- "Review: Combinatorial Enumeration by Ian P. Goulden and David M. Jackson" (PDF).
- Whitehead, Jr (1984). "Combinatorial Enumeration by Ian P. Goulden and David M. Jackson". SIAM Review. ACM Digital Library. 26 (4): 599. doi:10.1137/1026127.
- "Ian P. Goulden Publications". University of Waterloo. 5 December 2014.