Ian Graham Gass
|Ian Graham Gass|
|Born||20 March 1926
|Died||8 October 1992 (aged 66)
|Institutions||Sudan Geological Survey (1952-55)
Cyprus Geological Survey (1955-60)
Leicester University (1960-61)
University of Leeds (1961-69)
Open University (1969-92)
|Alma mater||University of Leeds|
|Doctoral advisor||WQ Kennedy|
|Notable awards||Murchison Medal (1988)
Fellow of the Royal Society
Ian Graham Gass, FRS, geologist, was Professor of Earth Sciences and Head of Discipline at the Open University, Milton Keynes and he was President of the IAVCEI (1983–87). He was married to Mary Pearce (1955, one son, one daughter).
At the close of the 1960s, a scientific revolution occurred changing the static Geology into a dynamic Earth Science. By showing that the Troödos Mountains, Cyprus is a remnant of seafloor spreading, Ian Gass collaborated in that transformation.
- I. G. Gass, Peter J. Smith, R. C. L. Wilson, eds. (1971). Understanding the earth : a reader in the earth sciences. Open University set book. Sussex: Artemis Press. p. 355. ISBN 0-85141-262-9.
- Clifford, Tom N. and Gass, Ian G., eds. (1970). African Magmatism and Tectonics. Edinburgh: Oliver and Boyd. p. 461. ISBN 978-0-05-001709-8.
- Baker, P. E., Gass, I. G., Harris, P. G., & Le Maitre, R. W. (1964). "The volcanological report of the Royal Society Expedition to Tristan da Cunha, 1962". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences. 256 (1075): 439–575.
- Cox, K. G. (1995). "Ian Graham Gass. 20 March 1926-8 October 1992". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 41: 170–126. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1995.0011.
- Gass, I. G. (1968). "Is the Troodos Massif of Cyprus a Fragment of Mesozoic Ocean Floor?". Nature. 220 (5162): 39. doi:10.1038/220039a0.
- Gass, I. G.; Masson-Smith, D. (1963). "The Geology and Gravity Anomalies of the Troodos Massif, Cyprus". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. 255 (1060): 417. Bibcode:1963RSPTA.255..417G. doi:10.1098/rsta.1963.0009.