Ian H. Witten
Ian H. Witten
Witten having received an Honorary Doctorate from the Open University in September 2017
|Alma mater||University of Essex|
|Thesis||Learning to control (1976)|
|Notable students||Craig Nevill-Manning|
Ian H. Witten is a computer scientist at the University of Waikato, New Zealand. He is a Chartered Engineer with the Institute of Electrical Engineers in London who graduated from the University of Cambridge with a BA and MA (First Class Honours) in mathematics in 1969 and an M.Sc. in mathematics and computer science from the University of Calgary, where he was a Commonwealth Scholar, in 1970. He received his Ph.D. for Learning to Control in 1976 from the University of Essex, England (Electrical Engineering Science). Witten is a co-creator of the sequitur algorithm and original creator of the WEKA software package for data mining.
- Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques. Morgan Kaufmann. January 20, 2011. ISBN 978-0-12-374856-0.
- Web Dragons: Inside the Myths of Search Engine Technology. Morgan Kaufmann. November 2006. ISBN 978-0-12-370609-6.
- "Ian H. Witten: Resume". Cs.waikato.ac.nz. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- Nevill-Manning, C.G.; Witten, I.H. (1997). "Identifying Hierarchical Structure in Sequences: A linear-time algorithm". arXiv:cs/9709102. Bibcode:1997cs........9102N.
- "Current Fellows « Fellowship « The Academy « Our Organisation « Royal Society of New Zealand". Royalsociety.org.nz. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- "Awards and Prizes - Department of Computer Science : University of Waikato". Cs.waikato.ac.nz. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ihw Academic homepage
- "If You've Got Data, Mine It Yourself: Ian Witten on Data Mining, Weka, and his MOOC".
|P ≟ NP||This biographical article relating to a computer scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|