Ian Holmes (footballer, born 1985)
|Full name||Ian David Holmes|
|Date of birth||27 June 1985|
|Place of birth||Ellesmere Port, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Rainworth Miners Welfare|
|2008||→ AFC Telford United (loan)||7|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15:41, 30 March 2008 (UTC).
Ian David Holmes (born 27 June 1985) is a footballer who plays as a striker.
Holmes currently works at Riddlesdown Collegiate in Croydon, as a media studies and English teacher. As the end of 2010 loomed Holmes decided to pursue his future in sport as well as his new-found love for teaching and was studying to be a physical education teacher and hoped to return to the same secondary school in Derbyshire,but he now teaches media studies and English. Holmes began his footballing career playing university football in Sheffield and joined Northern Premier League Premier Division side Matlock Town in summer 2006. He was the top goalscorer in the Premier Division with 34 goals in all league and cup competitions in his debut season in 2006–07, helping Matlock to the play-offs, and joined Football League Two side Mansfield Town in August 2007 on a one-year contract. After scoring three goals in 19 appearances, most as substitute, in the 2007–08 season, Holmes fell out of favour and joined AFC Telford United in March 2008, on loan with a 28-day recall option. After Mansfield Town were relegated to the Conference National at the end of the 2007–08 season, he was released by the club.
On 16 July 2008, Holmes signed for NPL Premier Division club Eastwood Town on a one-year contract. He signed for Glapwell F.C. in August 2010 and made his competitive debut against Market Drayton Town F.C. on 21 August 2010, scoring two goals. In fact, he made a blistering start to his Glapwell career by scoring three hat-tricks in September 2010, against Grantham Town F.C., Belper Town F.C. and Sutton Coldfield Town F.C.
He re-joined former club Matlock for the 2011-12 season but left the club in May 2012 having not been offered a new contract for the 2012-13 season, despite being the club's top scorer.
Holmes is currently working on a book of poems about his time in derbyshire titled tha alr8 duck,penguin publishing are rumoured to be interested in his work.
- Hugman, Barry J. (ed) (2008). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2008–09. Mainstream. ISBN 978-1-84596-324-8.
- "Gladiator becomes a full-time Stag". BBC Sport. 2007-09-01. Retrieved 2008-03-30.
- "UniBond Premier Division Statistics 2006-2007". Unibond Football League Official Site. Retrieved 2008-03-30.
- "Mansfield snap up Matlock striker". BBC Sport. 2007-08-31. Retrieved 2008-03-30.
- "Holmes snubs rivals to join Bucks". BBC Sport. 2008-03-28. Retrieved 2008-03-30.
- "Seven players to leave Mansfield". BBC Sport. 2008-05-16. Retrieved 2008-05-17.
- "Gladiators release top scorer". NonLeagueDaily.com. 17 May 2012. Retrieved 18 May 2012.