He is a Senior Advisor at the London-based World Nuclear Association, where he was previously Director of Public Information and Senior Research Analyst for over 16 years. Hore-Lacy has a Bachelor of Science with honours from the University of New England and a Master of Science from University of Melbourne, both in biological sciences.
Rio Tinto group
His career in resources and energy began in 1974 when he was employed by CRA (now Rio Tinto Group) as an environmental scientist. He took a particular interest in uranium mining and nuclear energy during the Ranger inquiry in the 1970s. Hore-Lacy continued to work for CRA until 1993, ultimately working in Corporate Relations. Hore-Lacy was closely involved with the production of the TV documentary series Out of the Fiery Furnace which was completed for ABC television in Australia in 1985 and was supported by the Rio Tinto group (via CRA Services Ltd). The series traced the discovery and use of metals, minerals, and energy resources through time, and premiered in the US in 1986 and was shown in over twenty countries.
In 1995 Hore-Lacy assumed the role of General Manager of the Uranium Information Centre in Melbourne, a position he held until 2001 publishing information on nuclear power to support the UIC members, all uranium miners and explorers. He also served as the organisation's secretary. The Centre's website was established in the year of his appointment. From 2001 his role progressively transferred to the World Nuclear Association, an international trade association, based in London. He was successively Director for Public Communications and Senior Research Analyst before largely retiring in 2017 as Senior Advisor.
During the Howard Government, Hore-Lacy was appointed to the Uranium Industry Framework, whose recommendations informed subsequent government policy announced in 2007. The announcements included plans to repeal prohibitions which prevented further nuclear industrial development in Australia under the EPBC Act.
Hore-Lacy has written, edited and co-authored several books; most recently Responsible Dominion – a Christian Approach to Sustainable Development (2006) and Nuclear Energy in the 21st Century (2018). The latter book has been republished ten times and the 10th edition had a Chinese version.
|Nuclear Energy in the 21st Century||Co-author||World Nuclear University Press & Elsevier||2006, 2010, 2012, 2018||978-09931019-3-9|
|Responsible Dominion: A Christian Approach to Sustainable Development||Author||Regent College Publishing||2006, 2015 (kindle 2nd edn)||978-1573833424|
|NUCLEAR ELECTRICITY: An Australian Perspective||Co-author||Australian Mining Industry Council||several editions, became Nuclear Energy in 21st Century||978-0909276355|
|Creating Common Wealth: Aspects of Public Theology in Economics||Author||Albatross Books||1987||978-0867600247|
|Broken Hill to Mount Isa: Mining Odyssey of W.H. Curbould||Editor||Hyland House Publishing||1981||978-0908090426|
|Mining and the environment||Author||Australian Mining Industry Council||1976, 1978||978-0959839210|
- "Ian Hore-Lacy". ResearchGate. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Ian Hore-lacy". LinkedIn.com. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Uranium Information Centre". Uranium Information Centre. National Library of Australia. Archived from the original on 7 March 2006. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- "Ian Hore-Lacy". Royal Institution of Australia. 16 January 2011.
- "Ian Hore-Lacy - On Line Opinion Author". On Line Opinion. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- Limited, CRA; Limited, Conzinc Riotinto of Australia (1 January 1979). "CRA LTD, CORPORATE RELATIONS SERVICES RECORDS".
- "Out of the Fiery Furnace TV documentary premiere (1986) - on Newspapers.com". Newspapers.com. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- "Prime Minister of Australia - Media Release - Uranium Mining and Nuclear Energy: A Way Forward for Australia". 7 June 2007. Archived from the original on 7 June 2007. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "ian Hore-Lacy". Amazon.com. Retrieved 19 May 2015.