|Born||22 September 1932|
|Died||5 February 2022 (aged 89)|
Educated at the Clepington Primary School and then at Morgan Academy, both in Dundee, Kennedy was employed after leaving school by D. C. Thomson & Co. He was taken on as a trainee illustrator in their Art Department in 1949. He recalled that his first published work was inking the black squares in the weekly Sunday Post crossword.
From the 1970s onward, Kennedy began to extend his range to science fiction comics, regularly producing work for IPC's 2000AD and Star Lord. He also worked for Battle Picture Weekly, Buddy, Blake's 7, Eagle (Dan Dare), M.A.S.K., Victor Summer Special, Wildcat and D. C. Thomson's pocket books (including Commando).
Kennedy also produced many covers over the years for different comics and annuals, working mainly in acrylic paint. In the late 1980s and 1990s Kennedy began creating the covers for the annual RAF Leuchars Air Show's programmes.
He went into semi-retirement in 1997, but still continued to draw covers and features for Commando until his death.
A definitive career-spanning interview with Kennedy appears in the Spring 2009 edition (Vol.11, No.1) of the "International Journal of Comic Art".
Comics work includes:
- Jeff Craig Detective (Buster)
- Tiger McTaggart (Wizard)
- Typhoon Tennyson (Wizard)
- M.A.C.H. 1: "Vulcan" (with Robert Flynn, in 2000 AD #2, 1977)
- Time Quake (with Chris Lowder, in Starlord #1-13, 1978)
- Dan Dare:
- Tharg's Future Shocks: "The Collector" (with Kelvin Gosnell, in 2000 AD #210, 1981)
- Judge Dredd: "99 Red" (with John Wagner/Alan Grant, in 2000 AD #423, 1985)
Covers work includes:
- over 1,600 covers for Commando
- 2000 AD #96, 446, 1961
- Starlord #20
- Tornado #5-6, 10, 13, 16 and 18
- Eagle #42, 47, 50-83
- "KENNEDY - Deaths - Dundee Courier Announcements - Dundee Courier".
- "Obituary: Ian Kennedy, of Dundee, Commando artist whose career spanned 73 years".
- "Ian Kennedy 1932–2022". 2000AD. 7 February 2022. Retrieved 7 February 2022.
- Burlingame, Russ (7 February 2022). "Ian Kennedy, Legendary UK Comics Artist, Dies At 89". ComicBook.com. Retrieved 7 February 2022.
- Art of Ian Kennedy - Ian's website
- Donachie, Mike (12 February 2011). "At home with legendary comics artist Ian Kennedy". The Courier. Archived from the original on 5 April 2015.
- "The art of a happy life: Comic book legend Ian Kennedy on why he’s still drawing at 88" by Murray Scougall The Sunday Post, 21 June 2021