Ian Ker (born 1942) is an English Roman Catholic priest, scholar and author. He is generally regarded as the world's authority on John Henry Newman, on whom he has published more than twenty books.
Father Ian Ker teaches theology at Oxford University, where he is a senior research fellow at Blackfriars, Oxford, and a member of the Faculty of Theology . He has taught both English literature and theology at universities in the UK and USA. Father Ker is generally regarded as the leading authority on Blessed John Henry Newman, on whom he has published the universally acknowledged definitive biography. He is also the author of The Catholic Revival in English Literature 1845-1961, Mere Catholicism, and G.K. Chesterton: A Biography. On this last book, the late Christopher Hitchens reviewed that "Professor Ker's spirited and double-barreled attempt at a rehabilitation" of Chesterton "is enjoyable in its own right."
A selected bibliography of Fr Ian Ker's books sorted by year of first publication:
- 1990. "John Henry Newman: A biography". Oxford University Press ISBN 9780192827050.
- 2003. "The Catholic Revival in English Literatute 1845-1961". Notre Dame Press USA. ISBN 085244625X.
- 2007. "Mere Catholicism". Emaus Road Publishing. ISBN 9781931018395.
- 2012. "GK Chesterton: A biography". Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780199655762.
- 2010. John Henry Newman. Una biografía. (Spanish edition) Ediciones Palabra. ISBN 9788498402827
- "Ker, I. T. (Ian Turnbull)". Library of Congress Authorities. Retrieved 15 October 2016.
- Ker, Ian (1990). John Henry Newman: A biography. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780192827050.
- "Oxford University Press".
- "Book Review "John Henry Newman: A biography"".
- searched=ker&advsearch=oneword&highlight=ajaxSearch_highlight+ajaxSearch_highlight1 "Faculty of Theology, Oxford" Check
- Hitchens, Christopher. ""The Reactionary: the Charming, Sinister G.K. Chesterton"". www.theatlantic.com. The Atlantic Monthly. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Book Review "The Catholic Revival..."".
- Sample chapter "Mere Catholicism"
- Interview Salt & Light TV, Toronto (Canada)
- Oxford University Newman Society
- Podcast of lecture - Newman's idea of a university: some misunderstandings
|This article about an English Roman Catholic cleric is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|