Ian McCall (fighter)
|Born||Ian Gregory McCall
July 5, 1984
Costa Mesa, California
|Other names||Uncle Creepy|
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Weight||125 lb (57 kg; 8 st 13 lb)|
|Division||Flyweight (125 lb)
Bantamweight (135 lb)
|Fighting out of||Dana Point, California|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Ian Gregory McCall (born July 5, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the Flyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional MMA competitor since 2002, McCall has fought for World Extreme Cagefighting and Tachi Palace Fights. He is a former TPF Flyweight Champion. As of August 17, 2015, he is #4 in the official UFC flyweight rankings and ranked #4 in the world by Sherdog.
McCall was born in Costa Mesa, California and has an older brother, Brad. McCall got into many "fights" growing up and in his youth, he practiced karate and Kung Fu. He competed in wrestling for Dana Hills High School where he was a standout and then continued later at Cuesta College, before dropping out to a knee injury. He was also a part of a gang called the Lords of South County, where the gang would regularly start fights with random people, usually multiple people beating up one unsuspecting person. A few of them were charged for crimes, like former UFC fighter Rob Emerson, but Ian McCall escaped without charges.
Mixed martial arts career
World Extreme Cagefighting
Tachi Palace Fights
In February, McCall signed a deal with the California-based promotion, Tachi Palace Fights. Ian's first fight was against Jussier Formiga, who at the time was ranked as the #1 Flyweight in the world. McCall upset Formiga with a unanimous decision victory.
On May 6, 2011, McCall then defeated previously unbeaten prospect Dustin Ortiz at Tachi Palace Fights 9, setting up an August 5, 2011 championship bout with the TPF Flyweight Champion Darrell Montague at TPF 10: Tachi Palace Fights 10. He won the title by submitting Montague in round 3 with a rear naked choke.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
McCall signed with the UFC in December 2011 to compete in a four-man Flyweight Tournament to determine the inaugural UFC Flyweight Champion. He faced Demetrious Johnson in the opening round of the tournament on March 3, 2012 at UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann. Johnson was initially thought to have defeated McCall by majority decision, though was later revealed that a scoring error had taken place and a majority draw was the correct result. This fight was the first flyweight bout in UFC history.
A rematch with Johnson took place on June 8, 2012 at UFC on FX 3 to determine who would meet Joseph Benavidez in the finals of the flyweight tournament. McCall lost the bout via unanimous decision.
McCall was briefly linked to a bout with promotional newcomer John Moraga on August 4, 2012 at UFC on Fox: Shogun vs. Vera. However, McCall was forced out of the bout with an issue with police and replaced by Ulysses Gomez.
McCall faced Iliarde Santos on August 3, 2013 at UFC 163. He won the fight via unanimous decision, earning his first UFC win. The fight also earned him his second Fight of the Night bonus award.
McCall was expected to face Brad Pickett on March 8 at UFC Fight Night 37 in London, England. However, on 13 February, it was announced that McCall had pulled out of the bout due to injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Neil Seery.
The rescheduled bout with Pickett took place on July 19, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 46. McCall won the bout by unanimous decision, having out struck Pickett across three rounds, while displaying strong takedowns and effective ground and pound.
McCall was expected to face John Lineker on November 8, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 56 as the co-main event. Although both fighters successfully made weight, it was announced just hours after the weigh in that Mccall had been pulled from the event due to a blood infection. The bout was pulled from the event entirely.
A rematch with Dustin Ortiz was expected to take place on August 8, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 73. However, McCall pulled out of the fight in late July citing injury and was replaced by Willie Gates.
McCall has a young daughter and is divorced.
In a 2012 interview with Ariel Helwani, McCall stated that during a hiatus after his last fight in the WEC he overdosed on a combination of oxycodone, GHB, Xanax and other tranquilizers. He awoke two days later in a hospital and later found out his breathing and heartbeat had both stopped. He was revived and recovered to full health within a matter of weeks.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Tachi Palace Fights
- TPF Flyweight Championship (One time)
- 2011 Comeback Fighter of the Year
- 2011 All-Violence First Team
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||13 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||13–5–1||John Lineker||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 183||January 31, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (130 lbs) bout; Lineker missed weight.|
|Win||13–4–1||Brad Pickett||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao||July 19, 2014||3||5:00||Dublin, Ireland|
|Win||12–4–1||Iliarde Santos||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 163||August 3, 2013||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||11–4–1||Joseph Benavidez||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 156||February 2, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–3–1||Demetrious Johnson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall||June 8, 2012||3||5:00||Sunrise, Florida, United States||UFC Flyweight Tournament semifinal.|
|Draw||11–2–1||Demetrious Johnson||Draw (majority)||UFC on FX: Alves vs. Kampmann||March 3, 2012||3||5:00||Sydney, Australia||UFC Flyweight Tournament Semifinal; Fight of the Night.|
|Win||11–2||Darrell Montague||Submission (rear-naked choke)||TPF 10: Let The Chips Fall||August 5, 2011||3||2:15||Lemoore, California, United States||Won Tachi Palace Fights Flyweight Championship.|
|Win||10–2||Dustin Ortiz||Decision (unanimous)||TPF 9: The Contenders||May 6, 2011||3||5:00||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||9–2||Jussier Formiga||Decision (unanimous)||TPF 8: All or Nothing||February 18, 2011||3||5:00||Lemoore, California, United States||Flyweight debut.|
|Win||8–2||Jeff Willingham||Submission (triangle choke)||MEZ Sports: Pandemonium 3||November 19, 2010||1||2:17||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Loss||7–2||Dominick Cruz||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 38||January 25, 2009||3||5:00||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||7–1||Kevin Dunsmoor||Decision (unanimous)||Total Combat 32||October 2, 2008||3||5:00||El Cajon, California, United States|
|Loss||6–1||Charlie Valencia||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 31||December 12, 2007||1||3:19||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||6–0||Coty Wheeler||TKO (punches)||WEC 30||September 5, 2007||3||4:34||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5–0||Rick McCorkell||KO (punch)||Battle in the Ballroom: Summer Fist 2007||June 28, 2007||1||0:13||Costa Mesa, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Chris David||Decision (unanimous)||Total Combat 15||July 15, 2006||3||N/A||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Musa Toliver||TKO (corner stoppage)||WFC: Rumble at the Ramada||December 8, 2005||2||N/A||Norwalk, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Chris Acevedo||TKO (corner stoppage)||Crown Fighting Championship 1||September 4, 2004||1||N/A||Rosarito Beach, Mexico|
|Win||1–0||Jerry Samson||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Warriors Quest 6: Best of the Best||August 3, 2002||2||2:32||Honolulu, Hawaii, United States|
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Sherdog Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". Sherdog.com. January 5, 2014.
- "Ian "Uncle Creepy" McCall". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Sherdog Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Sherdog's Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings - Flyweight". sherdog.com. 2012-06-28.
- "Montague-McCall Title Bout Targeted for Tachi Palace Fights 10". Sherdog.com. May 12, 2011.
- "UFC adds flyweights: Johnson vs. McCall, Benavidez vs. Urushitani at UFC on FX 2". mmajunkie.com. December 11, 2011.
- "UFC on FX 2 Main Card Results". UFC.com. March 3, 2012.
- "Breaking news: Demetrious Johnson vs Ian McCall result overturned, majority draw requires rematch". mmamania.com. March 3, 2012.
- "Johnson-McCall rematch slated for UFC on FX 3". mmajunkie.com. March 20, 2012. Retrieved March 20, 2012.
- "Ian McCall vs. John Moraga added to UFC on FOX 4 in Los Angeles". mmajunkie.com. July 19, 2012. Retrieved July 19, 2012.
- "Ulysses Gomez slotted to face John Moraga at UFC on FOX 4". mmajunkie.com. July 23, 2012.
- "Flyweights Jospeh [sic] Benavidez vs. Ian McCall on tap for UFC 156 in February". mmajunkie.com. December 4, 2012.
- John Petit (June 8, 2013). "Ian McCall and Iliarde Santos Lined Up For UFC 163". fighters.com. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- Staff (2013-08-04). "UFC 163 bonuses: Perosh, Moraes, McCall, Santos earn $50,000 awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-04.
- Staff (2013-09-17). "Scott Jorgensen drops to flyweight, meets Ian McCall at UFC on FOX 9". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Dave Reid (2013-08-22). "Ian McCall Out Of UFC On Fox 9 Bout With Scott Jorgsensen". mmainsider.net. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Dave Reid (2013-12-10). "Brad Pickett vs Ian McCall & Two More Bouts Set For UFC's Return To London". mmainsider.net. Retrieved December 16, 2013.
- Staff (2014-02-13). "Ian McCall out at UFC Fight Night 37, replacement opponent sought for Brad Pickett". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 2014-02-13.
- Staff (2014-02-20). "Irish newcomer Neil Seery meets Brad Pickett at UFC Fight Night 37 in London". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Ariel Helwani (2014-04-25). "Ian McCall vs. Brad Pickett targeted for UFC Dublin". sportv.gobo.com. Retrieved 2014-04-25.
- Staff (2014-09-04). "John Lineker meets Ian McCall at UFC Fight Night 56 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- Luke Thomas (2014-11-08). "Ian McCall out of his bout with John Lineker at UFC Fight Night 56". mmafighting.com.
- Luke Thomas (2014-11-08). "Ian McCall cites blood infection for withdrawal from John Lineker fight at UFC Fight Night 56".
- Damon Martin (2014-11-25). "Ian McCall vs. John Lineker rescheduled for UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2014-11-25.
- Dave Doyle (2015-06-16). "Flyweight contenders Ian McCall, Dustin Ortiz meet in Nashville". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- Staff (2015-07-23). "UFC Fight Night 73 fight card lineup finalized following Uriah Hall and Dustin Ortiz receiving new opponents". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Ian-McCall-An-Uncle-Creepy-You-Can-Love". ufc.com. June 7, 2012. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- "Ian McCall: 'Not That Long Ago, I Was Dead'". youtube.com. May 28, 2012. Retrieved June 14, 2012.