Ian Miller (footballer, born 1983)
Miller in 2011
|Full name||Ian Jonathan Miller|
|Date of birth||23 November 1983|
|Place of birth||Colchester, England|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|2006–2007||→ Boston United (loan)||12||(0)|
|2007||→ Darlington (loan)||7||(1)|
|2007–2008||→ Darlington (loan)||13||(1)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12:01, 29 May 2016 (UTC).
After starting his career in non-League football with Bury Town, Miller moved into the Football League with Ipswich Town. He also spent time on loan in the lower divisions of the Football League at Boston United and Darlington, before joining Darlington on a permanent basis in 2008. He left that club in late 2011 and joined Grimsby Town soon afterwards.
As captain of Cambridge United he led the team to a second-place finish and F.A Trophy glory at Wembley. During the play-off final Miller received a broken leg in the final minutes of the game, despite this he still lifted the trophy - whilst in a wheelchair - as Cambridge won 2-1 against Gateshead, sending the club into the Football League.
The injury ruled him out for the majority of the next season. After playing very few games he was released on a free transfer.
After his time as captain at Cambridge United Miller became the club's Community Football Manager, while also playing on a part-time basis for Needham Market
Born in Colchester, Essex, Miller began his career with Isthmian League Division One North team Bury Town, with whom he reached the semi-final of the FA Vase. He signed a new one-and-a-half-year contract in January 2006, and was appointed as captain at the start of the 2006–07 season.
Miller joined League Two side Boston United on a month-long loan in November 2006. This loan at Boston was extended until January 2007. He then joined another League Two side, Darlington, on a month's loan in February 2007. The loan was extended until April 2007, but Miller was recalled in late March to cover for injuries in Ipswich's squad. He made his sole appearance for Ipswich on 31 March 2007, as a substitute in the 74th minute for Jonathan Walters in their Championship fixture in the 3–1 victory over Plymouth Argyle.
On 11 January 2008 Miller joined Darlington permanently on a free transfer, signing a one-and-a-half-year contract.
On 10 May 2008, Miller came on as an 87th-minute substitute in the League Two play-off semi-final first leg against Rochdale, replacing the injured Alan White. With the game tied at 1–1, Miller rose to head a 92nd-minute winner from a Neil Wainwright direct free kick, to give Darlington the lead heading into the second leg.
After Darlington's players were asked to take a pay cut in November 2011, and Miller did not receive his wages for that month, he handed in his notice and left the club in December 2011.
Miller signed a 16-month contract with Conference National club Grimsby Town and made his debut in the starting eleven as the "Mariners" beat Lincoln City 3–1 on 1 January 2012. On 17 February 2012 he scored the equaliser in the 1–2 away victory at Southport, which was also his first goal for Grimsby, a corner from Frankie Artus was met with a powerful header by Miller inside the six-yard box. Miller was ever present for Grimsby during the 2012–13 season and played in the FA Trophy final at Wembley Stadium which ended in a defeat on penalties to Wrexham. The club had also led the Conference for a small part of the season but fell off towards the end and were eventually defeated in the play-offs by Newport County.
Miller was released by the club on 3 May 2013.
Braintree and Needham Market
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Edinburgh: Mainstream Publishing. p. 287. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Profiles". Darlington F.C. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Bury celebrate". Non-League Daily. 2 January 2006. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Ipswich snap up Bury skipper". Non-League Daily. 18 September 2006. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- "Ipswich tie up Bury Town defender". BBC Sport. 22 September 2006. Retrieved 5 June 2007.
- "Town defender makes Boston move". BBC Sport. 3 November 2006. Retrieved 5 June 2007.
- "Pair extend loan deals at Boston". BBC Sport. 7 December 2006. Retrieved 5 June 2007.
- "Quakers sign Tractor Boys' Miller". BBC Sport. 8 February 2007. Retrieved 5 June 2007.
- "Miller extends stay at Darlington". BBC Sport. 6 March 2007. Retrieved 5 June 2007.
- "Ipswich recall Quakers defender". BBC Sport. 26 March 2007. Retrieved 15 January 2008.
- "Ipswich 3–0 Plymouth". BBC Sport. 31 March 2007. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "Miller agrees to stay at Ipswich". BBC Sport. 20 June 2007. Retrieved 30 July 2007.
- "Darlington sign Ipswich's Miller". BBC Sport. 30 July 2007. Retrieved 30 July 2007.
- "Miller completes Quakers switch". BBC Sport. 11 January 2008. Retrieved 15 January 2008.
- "Darlington 2–1 Rochdale". BBC Sport. 10 May 2008. Retrieved 14 February 2010.
- Clark, Steph (24 December 2011). "Miller: Why I've had to walk out on Darlington". The Northern Echo. Darlington. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- "Grimsby Town snap up ex-Darlington defender Ian Miller". BBC Sports. 30 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Grimsby 3–1 Lincoln City". BBC Sports. 30 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Southport 1–2 Grimsby". BBC Sports. 17 February 2012. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "The Retained List". grimsby-townfc.co.uk.
- "BBC Sport - Cambridge United: Ian Miller joins on a free transfer". BBC Sport.
- "U's retained list confirmed". Cambridge United. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Student graduates as Pro Footballer". Anglia Ruskin University. 3 October 2009. Retrieved 3 October 2009.