Ian Strange (artist)
Ian Strange (born 1982) is an Australian multi-disciplinary artist based in Brooklyn, New York. His work investigates space, architecture and the home, alongside broader themes of disenfranchisement within the built environment.
He is best known for his ‘Suburban Intervention’ projects and exhibitions. Using the suburban home as a canvas, Strange’s work incorporates large-scale projects, film, photography, site-specific installation, sculptural installations, drawing, painting and on-going research projects
Curator Sarah Crown says ‘‘Strange’s monumental interventions exist on two extremes of the spectrum of destruction and of elevation. By doing so he challenges our understanding of home and safety.’
Strange has held solo exhibitions at the National Gallery of Victoria, [‘Suburban’, 2011-2013], The Canterbury Museum [‘Final Act’, 2013], as well as having participated in the 2014 Adelaide Biennial of Australian Art at the Art Gallery of South Australia with ‘LANDED’ a commissioned sculptural installation on the forecourt of the gallery. ‘SHADOW’  a large-scale project incorporating suburban homes, documented in film and photography for PUBLIC Festival 2015;[not in citation given] and ‘ZŁOTY’, a site-specific intervention onto the exterior of a historical building commissioned by the Intytucja Kultury, Katowice, Poland . He most recently collaborated with Standard Practice, a New York-based Artist Run Initiative, to present his body of work SUBURBAN on Bowery street in New York, May 2016.
His work is included in public collections, including the National Gallery of Victoria, Australia, Art Gallery of South Australia, AU, Art Gallery of Western Australia, AU, and the Canterbury Museum, NZ.
- Forrest, Nicholas (1 April 2014). "Interview: Ian Strange on Dropping Home Into Adelaide Art Biennial | Artinfo". Blouin Artinfo. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- Hurlston, David. "IAN STRANGE: SUBURBAN". ngv.com. National Gallery Victoria.
- Martin, Olivia. "Playing House: artist Ian Strange creates eerie portraits of America". Wallpaper.com. Wallpaper*. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- Crown, Sarah. "Essay: Ian Strange 'From Home To Home'". sarahcrown.com. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- "Ian Strange: SUBURBAN | NGV". www.ngv.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- Storey, Rachel (March 2014). "Ian Strange transforms quake-ravaged homes into works of art".
- "Ian Strange | 2014 Adelaide Biennial". adelaidebiennial.com.au. Retrieved 2016-11-24.
- Hurdle, Gregston (April 2015). "CHECK "SHADOW," THE HAUNTING NEW INSTALLATION FROM FORMER STREET ARTIST IAN STRANGE".
- "PUBLIC2015 leaves its mark on Perth's buildings and minds - Watch - ABC Arts | Australian contemporary art and culture reviews, news & videos". www.abc.net.au. Retrieved 2016-11-24.
- "Ian Strange's latest project covers historic Polish building in gold wallpaper". ACCLAIM. Retrieved 2016-11-24.
- "Ian Strange - SUBURBAN - 05.20.16 - 05.30.16". Standard Practice. Retrieved 2016-11-24.
- Strange, Ian. "Biography". Ian Strange. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- "Art Bites: Home: The Art of Ian Strange : ABC iview". iview.abc.net.au. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "Ian STRANGE | Artists | NGV". www.ngv.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 2016-11-29.
- Advertising, Design implemented by Lance Learhinan, Designed by Sono. "Art Gallery of South Australia :: Exhibitions :: 2014 Adelaide Biennial". www.artgallery.sa.gov.au. Retrieved 2016-11-29.
- Australia, The Art Gallery of Western. "The Art Gallery of Western Australia Website". www.artgallery.wa.gov.au. Retrieved 2016-11-29.
- "Ian Strange: Final Act | Art Almanac". Art Almanac. Retrieved 2016-11-29.