|Ian Gordon Tamblyn|
|Born||December 2, 1947|
Adventurer & Guide
Tamblyn released a demo cassette, Moose Tracks, in 1971. In 1976 he released his full-length debut album, Ian Tamblyn, which won a Juno Award for Best Folk Music Recording that year. Since that time he has completed over 25 recording projects. He plays guitar, piano, hammered dulcimer, and synthesizer, as well as singing.
Tamblyn has recorded a number of instrumental music albums inspired by his adventure travels to remote places such as the north shore of Lake Superior, the Nahanni River, and the Chukchi Sea, and his participation in scientific research expeditions to locations such as Greenland and Antarctica. Magnetic North and Antarctica incorporate on-location field recordings into the music. Magnetic North was nominated for a Juno Award for Best Instrumental Album of 1990. Over My Head was recorded in-studio after a live concert commissioned by the Canadian Museum of Nature, in which music was blended with tape looped field recordings of birds.
In 2008 Tamblyn, along with Bruce Cockburn and other Canadian folk artists released Dancing Alone, a two CD tribute album of the songs of influential Canadian songwriter and poet William Hawkins. Tamblyn also produced the majority of the tracks on the album.
Tamblyn won a Canadian Folk Music Award in 2010.
- Moose Tracks (1971)
- Ian Tamblyn (1976) - Juno Award, Best Folk Music Recording
- Closer to Home (1978)
- When Will I See You Again (1980)
- Dance Me Outside (1983)
- Over My Head (1986)
- Ghost Parade (1988)
- Magnetic North (1990)
- Through the Years ('76-'92) (1992, compilation)
- Days of Sun and Wind
- Antarctica (1994)
- The Middle Distance (1995)
- Lost Visions, Forgotten Dreams (1996)
- The Body Needs to Travel (1997)
- Voice in the Wilderness (2001)
- Like the Way You're Tinkin (2002)
- Angel's Share (2004)
- Machine Works (2005)
- Coastline Of Our Dreams - The Songs Of Ian Tamblyn (performed by various artists) (2005)
- Superior: Spirit and Light - The Four Coast Project: Vol.1 (2007)
- Raincoast - The Four Coast Project: Vol.2 (2008)
- Gyre (2009)
- Willisville Mountain (2009)
- In Dreams Behold (2010)
- Walking The Bones - The Four Coast Project: Vol.3 (2011)
- Frog's Night Out - a children's album... sort of (2013)
- Epic Rock CD (2013)
- Side By Each (2013)
- The Labrador - The Four Coast Project: Vol. 4 (2014)
- Walking In The Footsteps - Celebrating the Group of 7 (2015)
- Dream Children (1976)
- Northern Affairs (1984)
- Somebody Get Me a Job (1987)
- Legends of the Northern Swamp (1990)
- Land of Trash (1991)
- Day in the Night of Zephyr Fallutyn (1995)
- "Lost Visions, Forgotten Dreams". Civilisations. 28 September 1997. Archived from the original on 5 November 2004. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- 12th Annual Peterborough Folk Festival official program, 26 August 2001
- "Folk legends Cockburn, Tamblyn record tribute to Ottawa cabbie". CBC News. 3 October 2008. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- "Musicians honoured all across the country. Toronto guitarist and klezmer band among those given prizes". Toronto Star- Toronto, Ont. Quill, Greg Nov 22, 2010 Page: E.6