Ibai with Athletic Bilbao in 2012
|Full name||Ibai Gómez Pérez|
|Date of birth||11 November 1989|
|Place of birth||Bilbao, Spain|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Winger / Forward|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18 May 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 12 October 2018
Born in Bilbao, Biscay, Gómez began his career with Santutxu FC in the Basque regional leagues, winning the Golden Ball for the category in February 2009. After five years with the club he left, but stayed in the region after agreeing on a move to third division's Sestao River Club.
On 4 June 2010, after Sestao's relegation, Gómez moved straight into La Liga, joining Athletic Bilbao for two years with an option for a further one or two. He spent most of his first season with the reserves, in the third level.
On 17 October 2010, Gómez made his top flight debut, coming on as a substitute for Gaizka Toquero in the 67th minute of a home match against Real Zaragoza (2–1 win); after only three minutes, however, he himself had to be replaced, being stretchered off after suffering a knee injury.
Gómez contributed with two goals as Athletic reached the 2011–12 UEFA Europa League final – totalling seven appearances in the competition – scoring against FC Schalke 04 (2–2 home draw, 6–4 on aggregate) and Sporting Clube de Portugal (3–1 home success, 4–3 aggregate win). He was definitely promoted to the first team for 2012–13, being given the number 11 jersey. On 17 November 2012 he scored his first league goal of the campaign, in a 1–5 loss at Real Madrid.
In 2013–14, Gómez scored eight goals from only 18 appearances, helping the Lions finish fourth and qualify to the UEFA Champions League. He also dealt with some injury problems during that season, and missed the vast majority of 2015–16 due to a tendinitis ailment to his right knee.
On 31 July 2016, Gómez terminated his contract with Athletic and signed a three-year deal with fellow league team Deportivo Alavés just hours later. On 10 September he scored his first goal for the newly-promoted club, netting the second in a 2–1 historic win against FC Barcelona at the Camp Nou. He also started in the final of the Copa del Rey against the same opponent, which ended in a 1–3 defeat.
Return to Athletic
On 10 January 2019, Gómez rejoined Athletic Bilbao on a contract until June 2022. He made his second debut for the club three days later, coming off the bench in a 2–0 home league win over Sevilla FC.
Style of play
|Sestao River||2009–10||Segunda División B||36||8||—||—||—||36||8|
|Bilbao Athletic||2010–11||Segunda División B||12||4||—||—||—||12||4|
|Athletic Bilbao||2010–11||La Liga||3||0||—||—||—||3||0|
|Athletic Bilbao||2018–19||La Liga||14||0||1||0||—||—||15||0|
- Copa del Rey: Runner-up 2011–12, 2014–15
- Supercopa de España: Runner-up 2012
- UEFA Europa League: Runner-up 2011–12
- Ibai Gomez Balón de Oro (Ibai Gomez Golden Ball); Santutxu FC, 24 February 2009 (in Spanish)
- El Athletic Club ha fichado a Ibai Gómez (Athletic Club have signed Ibán Gómez); Athletic Bilbao, 4 June 2010 (in Spanish)
- Ibai Gómez: "A por todas" (Ibai Gómez: "All the way"); Mundo Deportivo, 4 June 2010 (in Spanish)
- Ibai Gómez, de sueño a pesadilla (Ibai Gómez, from dream to nightmare); Canal Athletic, 18 October 2010 (in Spanish)
- Athletic stride past Schalke and into semi-finals; UEFA, 5 April 2012
- Athletic leave it late as Llorente sets up final date; UEFA, 26 April 2012
- Five-star Real trounce Athletic Bilbao; ESPN FC, 17 November 2012
- Ibai Gómez jugará en Villarreal su partido 100 en Primera División (Ibai Gómez will play game 100 in the First Division in Villarreal); Mundo Deportivo, 18 September 2015 (in Spanish)
- La lesión de Ibai Gómez se complica (Ibai Gómez's injury gets trickier); Marca, 30 March 2014 (in Spanish)
- Ibai Gómez sufre una tendinitis en su rodilla derecha (Ibai Gómez suffers tendinitis in his right knee); El Correo, 4 November 2015 (in Spanish)
- "Ibai Gómez's contract terminated". Athletic Bilbao. 31 July 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Ibai Gómez, un puñal para la banda albiazul" [Ibai Gómez, a dagger to the blue-and-white wing] (in Spanish). Deportivo Alavés. 31 July 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Glorioso Matagigantes" [Glorious ["Glorioso" is the nickname of Alavés] Giantkiller] (in Spanish). Marca. 10 September 2016. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "Barcelona 3–1 Alavés". BBC Sport. 27 May 2017. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Pedraza e Ibai le dan la primera alegría a Abelardo" [Pedraza and Ibai give first joy to Abelardo] (in Spanish). Marca. 4 December 2017. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "Athletic Club sign Ibai Gomez back from Alaves". Marca. 10 January 2019. Retrieved 10 January 2019.
- "Williams desencadenado" [Williams unleashed] (in Spanish). Diario AS. 13 January 2019. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ibai Gómez: El sueño de un niño de barrio, hecho realidad" [Ibai Gómez: A neighbourhood kid's dream, now real] (in Spanish). Goal. 4 June 2012. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "Ibai Gómez, el asistente del Athletic" [Ibai Gómez, Athletic's assist man] (in Spanish). Marca. 31 August 2014. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "Ibai Gómez". Who Scored. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Ibai". Athletic Bilbao. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Ibai". Soccerway. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- Includes other competitive competitions, including the Supercopa de España, UEFA Super Cup, FIFA Club World Cup.