Parish church of St Eustace
|Ibberton shown within Dorset|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Ibberton is a village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southern England. It is situated in the Blackmore Vale under the scarp face of the Dorset Downs, 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Sturminster Newton and 7 miles (11 km) west of Blandford Forum. The parish covers almost 1,400 acres (570 ha) and extends over the chalk downs that lie to the south. In the 2011 census the parish had a population of 101, a reduction from 134 in 2001.
The name Ibberton derives from the Old English Ēadbeorht (a personal name), ing and tūn, and means 'estate associated with the man Ēadbeorht'. In 1086 in the Domesday Book it was recorded as Abristetone. Later variants of the name include Ebrictinton and Edbrichton.
The parish church of St Eustace occupies a site that gives far-reaching views northwards over the Blackmore Vale, and Ibberton Hill to the south provides an even loftier vantage point.
- "'Ibberton', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 3, Central (London, 1970), pp. 123-125". British History Online. University of London. 2014. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- "Area: Ibberton (Parish), Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Parish Headcounts". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. 28 April 2004. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- David Mills, ed. (2011). A Dictionary of British Place Names. Oxford University Press. p. 253. ISBN 978-0-19-960908-6.
- Wilkinson, Matt; Bold, Dan (November 2011). "The Dorset Walk – Woolland, Belchalwell and Ibberton". Dorset Life Magazine. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Welcome to Ibberton and Belchalwell, with Woolland, Village Hall online". Ibberton & Belchalwell Village Hall. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ibberton.|
- Parish registers
- Ibberton & Belchalwell Village Hall Web Site
- Ibberton Village Book in the Year 2000
|This Dorset location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|