|State||Akwa Ibom State|
|• Chairman||Rt. Hon Ekomabasi Akpan|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (WAT)|
The territorial unit and geographical area called, addressed and known as Ibiono Ibom consists of 9 clans, 33 groups, and 193 villages. It covers a total land surface of 2761.76 sq. kilometers, with a total population of 385,145.
Cities and towns
Oko Ita is the local government headquarters of Ibiono-Ibom.
Ibiono Ibom is divided into 9 Clans:
|Utit Obio Clan|
The region of the local government was created out of Itu Local government Area in December 1996.
This area is where the Scottish Missionary Mary Slessor died in 1915 and Her Cairn is beautifully located at Use Ikot Oku where she lived.
Politics in Ibiono Ibom is dominated by the people from the central part of Ibiono, with the highly endorse political party being PDP (Peoples Democratic Party)
The people are predominantly of the Christian faith.
The main ethnic group of the LGA are the Ibibio people, who speak a dialect of the Ibibio language. The Ibibio language belongs to the Benue–Congo language family, which forms part of the Niger–Congo group of languages.
Despite the homogeneity of the Ibibio, no central government existed among the people of the present day Ibiono-Ibom LGA prior to the colonial British invasion in 1904.
When Ibiono Ibom LGA was created in 1996, Oko Ita was chosen as the local government headquarters to spread development to all regions of the LGA.
The current region of Ibiono Ibom in old Itu LGA were the first set of people to encounter Western education in Akwa Ibom State with the establishment of Mission School, Aka Iko Udo Eno, 1939; Mary Slessor secondary school,1950 and other top flight schools such as the Ididep Science College (formerly Teachers' Training College, Ididep). Currently various institutions for post primary education have sprung up and spread across the local government.
Some Educational Institutes in the local government include:
- Community Secondary Commercial School Ono
- Union Secondary School, Ibiaku
- Ibiono Community High School Edem Urua
- Community Secondary school Idoro
- Presbyterian Senior Science School Ididep
- Community Secondary School Ikpanya
- Community Secondary School Ikot Usen
- Community Secondary School Ikpa
- Comprehensive Secondary School Use Ikot Amama
- Secondary School, Ididep
- Community Secondary School Itukho
Prominent people from Ibiono Ibom
Some prominent people of Akwa Ibom State and in Nigeria are from Ibiono Ibom LGA. They include:
- Cardinal Ekanem, First Nigeria Roman Catholic Cardinal. read more about Cardinal https://dacb.org/stories/nigeria/ekandem-dominic/
- Obong (Major General) Philip Efiong, Akankang Ibiono Ibom.Serving under the Biafran Government from 1967 to 1970, Obong Philip Efiong served as Chief of Logistics, Chief of Staff, Commandant of the Militia, and Chief of General Staff.He was the first Vice President and Second President of the defunct country. read more about him:http://www.philip-effiong.com/Dad-Memory.
- Obong Ntieyong Udo Akpan is another son of the area who served as Secretary to the Government of Biafra. He was a prolific writer and wrote many works among them are "The Wooden Gong", "Public Administration in Nigeria", "The Reservoir", "IniAbasi and the Sacred Ram" and "The Struggle for Secession, 1966–1970: A Personal Account of the Nigerian Civil War".
- Rt. Hon. Senator Solomon Enang (born 23 August 1962) is a Nigerian politician who represented the Itu and Ibiono Ibom Federal Constituency of Akwa Ibom State in the House of Representatives from 1999 to 2011. He was elected Senator for the Uyo (North East) Senatorial District of Akwa Ibom in the 2011 Federal elections.
- Ita Solomon Enang was born on 23 August 1962. He attended the Presbyterian Teachers Training College, Ididep, Akwa Ibom State (1974–1979). He was admitted to the University of Calabar, Calabar in 1980 where he read Law, graduating in 1984. He went on to the Nigerian Law School, Lagos and was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1985. He then entered private practice with his own law firm.
- Obong Bassey Albert (OBA) is a Nigerian politician who has been a member of the 8th Senate of Nigeria since June 2015. Previously, he was Commissioner of Finance in Akwa Ibom State from 2007 to 2014. He was first elected to the Senate in March 2015, representing Akwa Ibom North-East Senatorial district.
- "500 APC members defect to PDP in Akwa Ibom State". Daily Post Nigeria. 2017-07-11. Retrieved 2017-07-16.
- "A'Ibom community disagrees with govt over relocation of market – Tribune". Tribune. 2017-07-12. Retrieved 2017-07-16.
- "Food Sufficiency: A/Ibom Farmers Urged To Invest In Mechanized Farming — Nigeria Today". Nigeria Today. 2017-06-19. Retrieved 2017-07-16.
- "Akwa Ibom Govt Floats Insurance Scheme For Transport Operators • Channels Television". Channels Television. 2017-05-05. Retrieved 2017-07-16.