Aeropuerto de Ibiza
|Serves||Ibiza and Formentera|
|Focus city for||Vueling|
|Elevation AMSL||24 ft / 7 m|
Ibiza Airport (IATA: IBZ, ICAO: LEIB) (Catalan: Aeroport d'Eivissa, Spanish: Aeropuerto de Ibiza) is the international airport serving the Balearic Islands of Ibiza and Formentera in Spain located 7 km (4.3 mi) southwest of Ibiza Town. In 2020, the airport handled 2.1 million passengers (after more than 8.2 million in pre COVID-19 conditions in 2019), making it the thirteenth busiest airport in the country. As the island is a major European holiday destination, it features both year-round domestic services and several dozen seasonal routes to cities across Europe. It is also used as a seasonal base for Vueling.
The airport was first established as a temporary military airport during the Spanish Civil War, and it remained open after the conflict for use as an emergency airport. In 1949, the site was used to operate some domestic and international tourist flights, but it was closed in 1951.
It was not until 1958 that work commenced to re-open the airport in reaction to the rapid development of the tourist market in the Balearic Islands, particularly in neighboring Majorca. The airport reopened on 1 April 1958 with the first destinations during that year including Palma, Barcelona, Valencia and Madrid.
1990 to Today
The airport was expanded progressively over the subsequent decades with runway, taxiway, apron and terminal enhancements designed to cope with the growing air tourist market, which, by the late 1990s, was generating over 3.6 million passengers a year at the airport.
In 2011, the airport provisionally handled over 5.6 million passengers and around 61,000 aircraft movements, an increase of 11.9% and 8.4% respectively compared with 2010.
Airlines and destinations
|Swiftair||Madrid, Palma de Mallorca, Valencia|
- 1 Blue Islands' flight from Ibiza to Guernsey makes a stop at Jersey.
|Updated: 22 August 2021|
|Passengers||Aircraft movements||Cargo (tonnes)|
|Source: Aena Statistics|
Accidents and incidents
- On 7 January 1972, Iberia Airlines Flight 602 struck a mountain when on approach to Ibiza Airport. All 104 passengers and crew on board were killed.
- "Estadsticas - Aeropuertos Espaoles y Navegacin Area - aena-aeropuertos.es". Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Spanish AIP (AENA) Archived 2012-03-07 at the Wayback Machine
- "Blue Air: 10 rute noi din București și Cluj Napoca în sezonul de vară al 2022". 17 August 2021.
- "Fly direct to Ibiza from the Jersey in summer 2021".
- "British Airways Announces Routes and Starts Selling Seats for ITS New Gatwick Short-Haul Subsidiary".
- "Fly to Europe from Southampton with British Airways".
- "Corendon Airlines to Exist in the Danish Market".
- "Corendon announces Düsseldorf + Basel bases; 15 routes added at DUS". anna.aero. 2020-09-07.
- "Flights to Nuremberg". corendonairlines.com.
- https://www.easyjet.com/en[bare URL]
- "easyJet holidays adds four new routes for summer 2021". ttgmedia.com. 18 December 2020.
- https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_6718/file_152223.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "Air Nostrum unirá León y seis destinos con 368 vuelos entre junio y octubre | Transportes".
- "Jet2's Bristol Airport base will bring 450,000-holiday seats". ukaviation.news. 11 November 2020.
- Liu, Jim (23 April 2021). "LOT rozklad lotow".
- Liu, Jim (23 April 2021). "Jeszcze więcej wakacyjnych tras od LOT-u z całej Polski".
- https://www.luebeck-air.de/files/content/DOWNLOADS/pdf/Europakarte%20EN%20oJ.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "Rayanir website". Ryanair.com.[not specific enough to verify]
- "Ryanair Delivers Tourism Recovery at Nuremberg Airport | Ryanair's Corporate Website".
- "Ryanair tendrá tres nuevas rutas este verano desde Santiago a Fuerteventura, Ibiza y Menorca".
- "Laudamotion outlines summer 2018 operations". routesonline.com. 16 March 2018.
- Liu, Jim. "Ryanair / Laudamotion S20 network consolidation as of 18JUN20". Routesonline. Retrieved 19 June 2020.
- Ltd. 2018, UBM (UK). "Swiss expands Geneva European network from June 2019". Routesonline.
- Liu, Jim. "TAP Air Portugal NS21 Short-Haul network additions as of 11SEP20". Routesonline. Retrieved 14 September 2020.
- "Transavia vliegt komende zomer vanaf Brussels Airport". 21 December 2021.
- "Flight Timetable". TUI Airways. Retrieved 10 July 2021.
- https://www.vueling.com/en/book-your-flight/new-routes[bare URL]
- "WIZZ – Dream more. Live more. Be more".
- "Home". wizzair.com.
- "Stamattina conferenza-stampa Wizz Air a Roma - Durante la quale il vettore aereo annuncerà novità". 17 November 2021.
- "Swiftair cargo routes". 21 June 2020.
- Harro Ranter (7 January 1972). "ASN Aircraft accident Sud Aviation SE-210 Caravelle VIR EC-ATV Ibiza Airport (IBZ)". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
Media related to Ibiza Airport at Wikimedia Commons