Aeroport d'Eivissa / Aeropuerto de Ibiza
|IATA: IBZ – ICAO: LEIB|
|Elevation AMSL||24 ft / 7 m|
Ibiza Airport (IATA: IBZ, ICAO: LEIB) (Catalan: Aeroport d'Eivissa, Spanish: Aeropuerto de Ibiza) is the airport serving the Balearic Islands of Ibiza and Formentera in Spain, used by 95% of all people who arrive at or depart from these two islands.
The airport is located 7 km (4.3 mi) southwest of Ibiza Town. As the Island is a major European holiday destination, it features some year-round domestic services as well as several dozen seasonal routes to cities across Europe. It is also used as a seasonal hub by Vueling.
1940 - 1989
The airport was first established as a temporary military airport during the Spanish Civil War, and remained open after the conflict for use as an emergency airport.
In 1949 the site was used to operate some domestic and international tourist flights, but was then closed in 1951.
It was not until 1958 that work commenced to re-open the airport in reaction to the rapid development of the tourist market in the Balearic Islands, particularly in neighbouring Majorca. The airport was reopened on 1 April 1958 with the first destinations during that year including Palma, Barcelona, Valencia and Madrid.
1990 to date
The airport was expanded progressively over the subsequent decades with runway, taxiway, apron and terminal enhancements designed to cope with the growing air tourist market which by the late 1990s was generating over 3.6 million passengers a year at the airport.
In 2011 the airport provisionally handled over 5.6 million passengers and around 61,000 aircraft movements, an increase of 11.9% and 8.4% respectively compared with 2010.
Airlines and destinations
|Updated: 30 November 2015. 2015 data Provisional.|
|Passengers||Aircraft movements||Cargo (tonnes)|
|Source: Aena Statistics|
Accidents and Incidents
- On 7 January 1972, Iberia Airlines Flight 602 struck a mountain when on approach to Ibiza Airport. All 104 passengers and crew on board were killed.
- "Estadsticas - Aeropuertos Espaoles y Navegacin Area - aena-aeropuertos.es". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Spanish AIP (AENA)
- "easyJet adds 20 new routes for summer 2015". EasyJet. 10 December 2014.
- "Easyjet regains growth path in Spain". 02b.com. 17 December 2014.
- "Ibiza to Geneva - Cheap Flights £14.79 or less". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Germania Flight Schedule / 30.12.2014 - 01.11.2015" (PDF). Germania.
- "Germania Planned New S15 Routes as of 19NOV14". Airline Route. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Germania Adds New Muenster Service from May 2015". Airline Route. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Meridianafly Expands Milan Seasonal Routes in S15". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- L, J (29 September 2015). "S7 Airlines Adds New Spanish Routes in S16". Airline Route. Retrieved 29 September 2015.
- Aktuelle Routennews - Seite 228 - Aktuelles aus der Luftverkehrsbranche - airliners.de - Forum
- UBM Information Ltd. 2015 (10 February 2015). "Vueling Expands Santiago de Compostela Service from late-June 2015". Routesonline. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Harro Ranter (7 January 1972). "ASN Aircraft accident Sud Aviation SE-210 Caravelle VIR EC-ATV Ibiza Airport (IBZ)". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
Media related to Ibiza Airport at Wikimedia Commons