Abu Hamid Abd al-Hamid ibn Hibat-Allah ibn Abi al-Hadid al Mutazili al-Mada'ini
|Title||Glory of the Dīn (Izz al-Dīn) |
ابو حامد عز الدین
عبدالحمید بن ابی الحُسین ھبۃ اللہ بن محمد بن محمد بن الحُسین بن ابی الحَدِید المَدائنی
30 December 1190
|Died||June, 1258 (aged 70)|
|Main interest(s)||History, Hadith|
|Notable work(s)||Sharḥ Nahj al-Balāgha|
‘Izz al-Dīn ‘Abu Hamīd ‘Abd al-Hamīd bin Hībat-Allah ibn Abi al-Hadīd al Mutazilī al-Mada'ini (Arabic: ابو حامد عز الدین عبدالحمید بن ابی الحُسین ھبۃ اللہ بن محمد بن محمد بن الحُسین بن ابی الحَدِید المَدائنی المعتزلی) (30 December 1190 – June, 1258) was a Shafe'i Mutazili scholar of his era and a writer. Who studied under Abu'l-Khayr Musaddiq ibn Shabib al-Wasiti (d. 605 A.H.) He is known for his commentary on the Nahj al-Balagha which he titled Sharh Nahj al-Balagha.
Regarding the fabrications of Hadiths, he said that "lies" had been introduced into the hadith collections of Shi'ites in order to favour their Imam, Ali, or due to their enmity with other religious groups. Regarding the early Caliphate, Al-Hadid explains Ali's position during the early Caliphates in his commentary in his Sharh Nahjul Balagha. According to him Ali approved of the Rashidun Caliphate and followed them in prayers. He further states that he follows the example of Ali and does not go beyond that, going as far as to curse Muaawiyah.
- Comments on the Peak of Eloquence (Arabic: شرح نہج البلاغۃ, romanized: Sharḥ Nahj al-Balāgha); a commentary on the Nahj al-Balagha, a collection of traditions attributed to Ali ibn Abi Talib. A 20-volume edition was published by Muhammad Abu l-Fadl Ibrahim (Cairo: 'Isa al-Babi al-Halabi) between 1959 and 1964.
- E.J. Brill's first encyclopaedia of Islam, 1913-1936, Volume 2 by Martijn Theodoor Houtsma, 1987, p736
- 'Ibn Khallikan's biographical dictionary by Ibn Khallikān, 1868, p543
- Authority and political culture in Shi'ism by Saïd Amir Arjomand, 1988, p233
- "wafat al ayan".. By Ibn Khalikkan , on the entry of ibn Abil Hadid, (وفيات الأعيان وأنباء أبناء الزمان: واشتغل بفقه الإمام الشافعي)"
- The life of Caliph Ali by Abul Hasan Alī Nadvī, Academy of Islamic Research & Publications, 1991, p88, "..The great Mutazilli scholar Ibn Abi al-Hadid, author of Sharh Nahjul Balagha..."
- The Islamic review: Volume 49, Khwajah Kamal al-Din, 1961, p29, "we will do well to quote the views of Ibn abi'l-Hadid who was a moderate Shi'ah..."
- Harvard Middle Eastern and Islamic review, Volumes 2-3, Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Harvard University, 1995, p55, "Ibn Abi al-Hadid (d. 1257), the well- known Mu'tazili ..."
- "Nahjul Balagha Part 1, The Sermons". Al-Islam.org. Retrieved 2015-11-22.
- Sharh Najh ul Balagha by Izz al-Din Abd al-Hamid ibn Hibat-Allah ibn Abi al-Hadid, Dar al Kutub al Arabiyya al-Kubra, Cairo
- Harvard Middle Eastern and Islamic review, Volumes 2-3, Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Harvard University, 1995, p30