|Member of the Virginia House of Delegates|
from the 86th district
|Assumed office |
February 20, 2019
|Preceded by||Jennifer Boysko|
|Born||Chicago, Illinois, U.S.|
|Alma mater||American University (BA)|
Boston University (DMD)
Early life and education
Samirah was born in Chicago, a second-generation Palestinian American whose parents were refugees. His father was separated from the family while Samirah attended middle school when he was barred reentry into the United States. Samirah lived in Jordan as a teenager before returning to the United States in 2009. He earned a bachelor's degree in political science from American University, where, though Muslim, he was a member of the historically Jewish fraternity Sigma Alpha Mu, attracted by the chapter's progressivism and "respect for diversity". He next earned his Doctor of Dental Medicine from the Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine at Boston University. While he attended dental school, Samirah was a member of the Students for Justice in Palestine.
Virginia House of Delegates
Samirah defeated Republican Gregg Nelson and independent Connie Haines Hutchinson, receiving 60% of the vote, on February 19, 2019. He was sworn in the next day, becoming the second Muslim elected to the Virginia General Assembly, after Sam Rasoul.
On July 30, 2019, Samirah attended a speech by Donald Trump in Jamestown and interrupted him by standing up and protesting with card signs consisting of the words "Deport Hate", "Reunite My Family" and "Go Back to Your Corrupted Home".
- "Democrat Ibraheem Samirah wins House of Delegates 86th District special election | News". loudountimes.com. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- Douglas, Catherine. "Democrat Ibraheem Samirah Wins 86th District Seat". Reston Now. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- Cohen, Zach C. (November 16, 2011). "Sammy's Palestinian brother | Today in New Voices". New Voices: The National Jewish Student Magazine. Retrieved March 3, 2019.
- "Dr. Ibraheem Samirah Joins District Smiles As Senior Dentist In - FOX 40 WICZ TV - News, Sports, Weather, Contests & More". Wicz.com. February 11, 2019. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- "Palestinian student advocates protest festival celebrating Israel Independence Day". The Daily Free Press. April 19, 2016. Retrieved February 20, 2019.
- "Democratic Virginia state delegate interrupts Trump's speech". CBS. Retrieved August 3, 2019.