|Governor of Kwara State|
July 1975 – 13 February 1976
|Preceded by||David Bamigboye|
|Succeeded by||George Agbazika Innih|
|Died||13 February 1976|
Colonel Ibrahim Taiwo was a Military Governor of Kwara State from July 1975 to February 1976 during the military regime of General Murtala Mohammed. He assisted in establishment of the University of Ilorin, which was founded by decree August, 1975.
Participation in the Nigerian Counter Coup of July 1966
Taiwo, then a Captain with the Lagos Garrison in Yaba, was one of the many officers (including 2nd Lieutenant Sani Abacha, Lieutenant Muhammadu Buhari, Lieutenant Ibrahim Bako, Lt Colonel Murtala Muhammed, and Major Theophilus Danjuma among others), who staged what became known as the Nigerian Counter-Coup of 1966 because of grievances they felt towards the administration of General Aguiyi Ironsi's government which quelled the January 15, 1966 coup.
Participation in the Nigerian Military Coup of 1975
Taiwo played a central role in the coup that ousted Yakubu Gowon and brought Murtala Mohammed to power, under cover of his Supply and Transport duties in the army, working closely with Lt. Col. Muhammadu Buhari.
Casualty of the 1976 Military Coup
Colonel Ibrahim Taiwo was murdered on 13 February 1976 during a failed coup in which the then Head of State Gen. Murtala Mohammed was also killed. General Olusegun Obasanjo was later appointed as Head of State keeping the rest of Gen. Murtala Mohammed's Chain of Command in place.
- "Nigerian States". WorldStatesmen. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "Welcome to the University of Ilorin". University of Ilorin. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Siollun, Max. Oil, Politics and Violence: Nigeria's Military Coup Culture (1966 - 1976). Algora. p. 97. ISBN 9780875867090.
- Nowa Omoigui. "Military Rebellion of July 29, 1975: The coup against Gowon - Part 6". Dawodu. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- Max Siollun (2009). Oil, Politics and Violence: Nigeria's Military Coup Culture (1966-1976). Algora Publishing. ISBN 0-87586-708-1.
|This article about a Nigerian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|