Ice Age Giants
|Ice Age Giants|
|Presented by||Alice Roberts|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of episodes||3|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||BBC Natural History Unit
Terra Mater Factual Studios
|Original network||BBC Two
BBC Two HD
|Picture format||16:9 576i (SDTV)
16:9 1080p (HDTV)
|Audio format||Stereo (SD)
Dolby Digital (HD)
|Original release||19 May– 2 June 2013|
Ice Age Giants is a British television documentary series created and produced by the BBC Natural History Unit, first shown in the UK on BBC Two and BBC Two HD on 19 May 2013. The series steps back to 20,000 years in time and follows the trail of the prehistoric mammals in the ice age on North America and European region that lived through it to life by using the latest scientific knowledge and a little graphic wizardry.
|Episode||Title||Producer||Original air date|
|1||"Land of the Sabre-tooth"||Mark Flowers||19 May 2013|
|The Ice Age odyssey begins in the 'land of the sabre-tooth' in North America, a continent that was covered by ice up to two miles thick in some parts. Yet this frozen land boasted the most impressive cast of Ice Age giants in the world.|
|2||"Land of the Cave-Bear"||Tim Walker||26 May 2013|
|The Land of the Cave bear ventures into the areas of the world affected the most by the Ice age – Europe and Siberia. In the mountains of Transylvania, Professor Alice Roberts and her team investigate a cave sealed for thousands of years which shows evidence of a fight to the death between two ice age giants, a cave bear and a cave lion. Animals that would have dwarfed their modern day relatives. Also documented is the woolly mammoth's battle for survival against the Neanderthals, the latter of whom would be outcompeted and eventually driven to extinction by modern humans.|
|3||"Last of the Giants"||Mark Flowers||2 June 2013|
|Despite thousands of years of ice covering the northern hemisphere, many of the great giants of the ice age still walked the earth. Episode three looks at what could have caused mammoths, woolly rhinoceros, sabre-toothed cats, giant ground sloths and glyptodons to finally go extinct.|
As for Australia and New Zealand (Region 4), it was released by ABC DVD/Village Roadshow on 6 August 2014.
- "Projects – Ice Age Giants". David Mitcham.
- Purcell, Charles (20 August 2015). "New This Week (Aug 24): Fear The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, Real Housewives and live sport". The Green Room. Archived from the original on 20 August 2015. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- "Ice Age Giants (DVD)". Amazon.com.
- "Ice Age Giants (DVD)". BBC Shop (US).
- "Ice Age Giants (DVD)". ABC Shop.
- Meet the Ice Age Giants – Telegraph
- Ice Age Giants: BBC2 documentary brings giants of the Ice Age back to life – Mirror Online
- You the Jury: Ice Age Giants | Comment | Broadcast
- ‘Ice Age Giants’ review by Jordan A. • Letterboxd
- First episode of Ice Age Giants documentary proves a hit – Thame Gazette