Ice Nine Kills
|Ice Nine Kills|
Ice Nine Kills live in 2011
|Labels||Ferret Music, Outerloop, Fearless Records|
|Associated acts||Remember Tomorrow, Doctor Junior|
|Past members||Jeremy Schwartz
Andrew Justin Smith
Ice Nine Kills is an American metalcore band from Boston, Massachusetts who are signed to Fearless Records. Best known for its Horror-inspired lyrics, Ice Nine Kills formed in its earliest incarnation in 2006 by high school friends Spencer Charnas and Jeremy Schwartz. The group originally pursued a style combining pop punk, emo, post-hardcore and ska into their own innovative blend of rock, but have since shifted into more of a theatrical metalcore hybrid. Charnas is currently the only remaining founding member.
To date, Ice Nine Kills has released three EPs: The Burning, 2 Song Acoustic and The Predator. Four full-length studio albums: Last Chance to Make Amends, Safe Is Just a Shadow, The Predator Becomes the Prey, and their most successful album to date Every Trick in the Book which peaked at #122 on the US Billboard 200. Their band name is derived from the fictional substance ice-nine from the science fiction novel Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 References
- 5 External links
2006-2009: Formation and Last Chance to Make Amends
Ice Nine Kills was founded under the name Ice Nine by high school friends Spencer Charnas and Jeremy Schwartz but changed their name to Ice Nine Kills just before releasing their debut independent album Last Chance to Make Amends on April 20, 2006.
The following year on November 20, 2007, Ice Nine Kills released their EP, The Burning through Red Blue Records. The band then set out on several national tours in support of the EP including opening slots on tours with I See Stars and Eyes Set To Kill among others.[better source needed] By 2008, the group had been invited to open for well-known acts such as As I Lay Dying, A Day To Remember, Thursday, Paramore and a one off performance at Taste of Chaos 2009. That same year, Ice Nine Kills released 2 acoustic tracks ("The Simple Act of Giving Up" and "Lifetime in a Week") on an EP titled 2 Song Acoustic.
In mid 2009, Schwartz decided to leave the band after struggling with life on the road, leaving Charnas as the only original member. Charnas then recruited former members of the Rochester NY based post-hardcore band Remember Tomorrow which had recently disbanded. This shifted Ice Nine Kills' sound into more of an experimental metalcore sound to which Ferret Music took notice and signed the band in the spring of 2009 and after their appearance on Warped Tour 2009 the band began writing and recording their next record.
2010-2013: Safe Is Just a Shadow and The Predator
Ice Nine Kills released their second full-length album Safe Is Just a Shadow on July 12, 2010. Vocalist Dave Sieling, who has since left the band, contributed clean vocals along with Spencer Charnas. The album received praise from heavy metal magazine, Revolver in the 2010 Hottest Chicks in Rock Issue and subsequently the band was invited to attend the Revolver Golden Gods awards in Los Angeles CA on April 20, 2010. The band supported Safe Is Just a Shadow with a two-week appearance on Warped Tour 2010, and a supporting slot with Michigan-based nu metal band Taproot. The band performed on a headlining tour in the summer of 2011 as well as a performance at the Darien Lake NY stop of Warped Tour 2011 on the Dzambo Stage.[better source needed] The band released a music video inspired by the film Inglourious Basterds for their song "The People Under the Stairs" on June 20, 2011. That same day the band announced their partnership with Outerloop Management who represent We Came as Romans, Refused, and Periphery among others.
On May 12, 2012, it was announced that the band would be the opening act for the 2012 edition of The All Stars Tour featuring Suicide Silence, The Word Alive, Dance Gavin Dance, I See Stars, and Attila. Prior to The All Stars Tour the band supported Like Moths To Flames on their first headlining tour in Canada in Early June as well as a small midwest run supporting Norma Jean in July.
It was announced on August 16, 2012 that the band would be supporting We Came As Romans and Abandon All Ships for a Canadian Tour taking place September 11 through the 17th. The band would close out 2012 by taking part in the "Party with The Devil" tour with Atilla, Make Me Famous, Issues (band) (ex Woe, Is Me members), and Adestria from October 26 – November 15, followed by a short run with Like Moths To Flames from December 2–9.
On November 22, 2012, Ice Nine Kills released an official lyric video for their new single "The Coffin is Moving". On that same date, they launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise money to fund their New EP. On December 22 the band announced that they had raised over $21,000 for their Kickstarter campaign and that their new EP "The Predator" would be released on January 15, 2013. To celebrate this announcement they released a second single from the EP entitled "What I Never Learned In Study Hall" featuring guest vocals from Tyler Carter vocalist of Issues. The acoustic version of the song was released on January 8 on the Take Action compilation volume 11 via Hopeless Records.
The band's second EP entitled The Predator was released on January 15, 2013 and debuted at No. 9 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart.
On March 13, 2013, the band announced they would be playing the first 2 weeks of the 2013 Vans Warped Tour on the Ernie Ball stage as well as The All Stars Tour featuring Every Time I Die, Chelsea Grin, Terror, Iwrestledabearonce, and more.
On July 9, 2013, the band release the official video for the song "The Coffin Is Moving".
On November 4, 2013, the band released a new single titled, "Connect the Cuts".
2014-2015 The Predator Becomes the Prey
On January 8, 2014 the band released the second single from their forthcoming album, "The Power in Belief".
Ice Nine Kills released their full-length effort The Predator Becomes the Prey on January 21 through the newly created Outerloop Records, an imprint of Fearless Records. The album marks the band's first entrance into the Billboard Top 200 charts landing at #153. The album also debuted at #3 on the top heatseeker's chart, #38 on the independent label chart, and #13 on the Hard Rock charts.
On February 27, 2014 Ice Nine Kills Released a music video for 'Let's Bury The Hatchet... In Your Head'
On February 6, 2015, INK released a music video for 'The Fastest Way To A Girls Heart Is Through Her Ribcage'
On February 19, 2015, Ice Nine Kills released a new song called 'Me Myself & Hyde' from their new album scheduled for fall of 2015
2015-present: Signing to Fearless Records, Every Trick in the Book, and Safe is Just a Shadow re-release
On September 25, 2015 Ice Nine Kills released their new single and lyric video for "Bloodbath & Beyond" off of 'Every Trick in the Book'
On October 22, 2015 INK released a music video for the song "Communion of the Cursed"
On December 1 INK began uploading the rest of the album's songs to YouTube. They concluded on December 2.
Ice Nine Kills's new album "Every Trick in the Book" was released on December 4, 2015
Ice Nine Kills is set to release a re-recorded version of their past album Safe is Just a Shadow on January 6th.
- Studio albums
- Last Chance to Make Amends (2006)
- Safe Is Just a Shadow (2010)
- The Predator Becomes the Prey (2014)
- Every Trick in the Book (2015)
- Safe Is Just a Shadow (Re-shadowed and Re-recorded) (2017)
- "Ice Nine Kills - Chart history | Billboard". www.billboard.com. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- "Last Chance to Make Amends by ICE NINE KILLS". Amazon. Amazon.
- "Ice Nine Kills- The Burning". Red Blue Records Online Store. Red Blue Records. Archived from the original on March 16, 2011. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "The Gauntlet - Ice Nine Kills". The Gauntlet. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "Ferret Music to release Ice Nine Kills album". Lambgoat. Lambgoat. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "2 Song Acoustic: Ice Nine Kills". Amazon. Amazon.com. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "Interview with Ice Nine Kills front man Spencer Charnas". Hellhound Music. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- email@example.com, Mary Reines. "Ice Nine Kills signs with Fearless Records". Marblehead Reporter. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- ICE NINE KILLS (2010-07-02), Safe Is Just A Shadow, RED BLUE RECORDS, retrieved 2016-02-06
- "Ice Nine Kills at the Golden Gods released". AllMusicRelated. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- "Ice Nine Kills new album "Safe is just a shadow" released". AllMusicRelated. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- Gannaio, Anthony. "The Vans Warped Tour 2010 Experience". The NewReview. TheNewReview. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "Exclusive Warped Tour Dzambo Stage Announced". June 2011.
- "Ice Nine Kills Added to All Stars Tour". AbsolutePunk. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- iceninekilled (2012-11-22), ICE NINE KILLS - The Coffin Is Moving (Official Lyric Video), retrieved 2016-02-06
- "Ice Nine Kills EP/CD RELEASE FUND!". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- iceninekilled (2012-12-24), ICE NINE KILLS - What I Never Learned In Study Hall (ft. Tyler Carter), retrieved 2016-02-06
- "Ice Nine Kills Release New Song, "The Product of Hate," to Benefit Victims of the Boston Marathon Bombing". April 27, 2013.
- Outerloop Records (January 23, 2014). "Ice Nine Kills "The Coffin Is Moving" (Track 3)" – via YouTube.
- "Connect The Cuts Song".
- "Listen: Ice Nine Kills Release New Song, "The Power In Belief"". January 8, 2014.
- "Ice Nine Kills Sign With Newly Formed Outerloop Records Label | Theprp.com – Metal, Hardcore And Rock News, Reviews And More". Theprp.com. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- "Ice Nine Kills 'The Predator' Debuts At No 9 On Billboard's Heatseekers Chart". Top40-Charts.com. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "Ice Nine Kills - Tickets - The Lab at GameChangerWorld - Howell, NJ - November 24th, 2015". Ticketfly. Retrieved 2016-02-06.