|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New Hampshire's At-large district
March 4, 1823 – March 3, 1829
|Preceded by||Josiah Butler|
|Succeeded by||John Brodhead|
|Speaker of the
New Hampshire House of Representatives 30th New Hampshire General Court
June 6, 1821 – June 30, 1821
|Preceded by||Matthew Harvey|
|Succeeded by||Charles Woodman|
July 24, 1786|
New Hampshire, USA
|Died||October 19, 1853
New Hampshire, USA
|Resting place||Harmony Grove Cemetery
|Political party||Adams-Clay Republican
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College|
Bartlett was born in Salisbury, New Hampshire on July 24, 1786. He received a classical education and graduated from Dartmouth College in Hanover in 1808. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1811, commencing practice in Durham.
Bartlett moved to Portsmouth in 1816 and continued the practice of law. He was the clerk of the New Hampshire Senate in 1817 and 1818, and served as the state solicitor for Rockingham County 1819-1821. In addition, he was a member of the New Hampshire House of Representatives 1819-1821 and served as speaker in 1821.
Elected as an Adams-Clay Republican to the Eighteenth Congress and as an Adams to the Nineteenth and Twentieth Congresses, Bartlett served as United States Representative from (March 4, 1823 – March 3, 1829). He declined the appointment as chief justice of the court of common pleas in 1825 and was again a member of the New Hampshire House of Representatives 1830, 1838, 1851, and 1852. Failing in a bid for governorship of New Hampshire in 1832, he served as a member of the state constitutional convention in 1850.
- Benton, Josiah Henry (1894), Influence of the Bar in Our State and Federal Government: Annual Address before the Southern New Hampshire Bar Association, Feb. 23, 1894, Boston, Massachusetts: Josiah Henry Benton, p. 60.
- Bartlett, Thomas Edward (1892), The Bartletts: Ancestral, Genealogical, Biographical, Historical. Comprising an account of the American Progenitors of the Bartlett Family, with Special Reference to the Descendants of John Bartlett, of Weymouth and Cumberland, New Haven, Connecticut: Press of the Stafford Printing Co., p. 94.
- Beach, Morgan, Rines, Roe, Dole, Copeland, Frederick Converse, Forrest, George Edwin, E. T., Nathan Haskell, Thomas Campbell. The Encyclopedia Americana: A General Dictionary of the Arts and Sciences, Literature, History, Biography, Geography, Etc., of the World; Editor-in-chief, Frederick Converse Beach ... Managing Editor, Forrest Morgan ... Assistant Editors, Nathan Haskell Dole ... Edward Thomas Roe ... Thomas Campbell Copeland. Americana Company, 1903 - Encyclopedias and dictionaries. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- Drake, Francis Samuel. Dictionary of American Biography: Including Men of the Time ... and a Supplement. Houghton; Osgood, 1879 - America. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "Ichabod Bartlett". Ancestry.com. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
|Member of the United States House of Representatives
New Hampshire's At-Large district
|Speaker of the New Hampshire House of Representatives
30th New Hampshire General Court