Tamasaki Jinja torii gate
Location of Ichinomiya in Chiba Prefecture
|• Total||23.02 km2 (8.89 sq mi)|
|Population (November 2012)|
|• Density||543/km2 (1,410/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|- Tree||Japanese black pine|
|- Flower||Lilium auratum|
|Address||2457 Ichinomiya, Ichinomiya-machi, Chōsei-gun, Chiba-ken 299-4396|
|Website||Town of Ichinomiya HP|
Ichinomiya (一宮町 Ichinomiya-machi?) is a town located in Chōsei District, Chiba Prefecture, Japan. As of 2012, the town had a population of 12,501 and a population density of 543 persons per km². The total area of the town is 23.02 square kilometres (8.89 sq mi).
Ichinomiya is relatively flat compared to the interior of the Bōsō Peninsula. The highest elevations in the town are at Mount Shiroyama 150 metres (490 ft), a former castle site, Mount Takafuji 83 metres (272 ft), and Mount Gundari 70 metres (230 ft).
The area of present-day Ichinomiya has been inhabited since prehistoric times. The area takes its name from the Tamasaki Shrine, the Ichinomiya, or first shrine of Kazusa Province. During the Sengoku period, the Satomi clan, the virtually independent rulers of the Bōsō Peninsula, established a castle at Ichinomiya. During the Edo period, a 13,000 koku feudal domain called Ichinomiya Domain ruled the area. After the start of the Meiji period, the area rapidly developed as a summer health resort, with many noted politicians, military figures, artists and writers establishing summer residences. Ichinomiya Town was created within Chōsei District during the cadastral reform of April 1, 1889.
- 一宮町 [Town of Ichinomiya] (in Japanese). Ichinomiya, Chiba Prefecture, Japan: Town of Ichinomiya. 2012. Retrieved Nov 26, 2012.
- "一宮町" [Ichinomiya]. Nihon Rekishi Chimei Taikei (in Japanese). Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2012. OCLC 173191044. dlc 2009238904. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "一宮（町）" [Ichinomiya]. Nihon Daihyakka Zensho (Nipponika) (in Japanese). Tokyo: Shogakukan. 2012. OCLC 153301537. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "もうひとつの城址「城山」" [Another Castle Site, "Shiroyama"]. Ichinomiya, Chiba Prefecture, Japan: Town of Ichinomiya. 2008. Retrieved Oct 26, 2012.
- "史蹟 高藤山と「古蹟の碑」" [Mount Takafuji and Kofun Marker Historical Site]. Ichinomiya, Chiba Prefecture, Japan: Town of Ichinomiya. 2008. Retrieved Oct 26, 2012.
- "軍荼利山" [Mount Gundari]. Retrieved Oct 26, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ichinomiya, Chiba.|
- Ichinomiya official website in Japanese