|Birth name||Ida Maria Børli Sivertsen|
|Born||13 July 1984|
|Genres||Punk rock, indie rock, alternative rock|
|Instrument(s)||Guitar, bass guitar, vocals|
|Labels||Nesna Records, Waterfall Records, Mercury Records, Lava Records|
Maria gained considerable success in Norway in 2007 after winning two national competitions for unknown artists - Zoom urørt 2006 and Urørtkonkurransen 2007 - and playing successful shows at the annual Norwegian music industry festival By:Larm 2007 and 2008. In 2007, Maria released her first singles "Oh My God", "Drive Away My Heart", "Stella" and "Queen of the World".
Her debut album, Fortress Round My Heart, was released on 28 July 2008 and reached #5 in the Norwegians record chart, #38 on the Irish Albums Chart and #39 on the UK Albums Chart. The single, "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked", entered the UK Singles Chart at #18 on downloads alone in July 2008 and peaked at #13. It also reached #18 in the Norwegian singles chart. In August 2008 the song entered the Irish Singles Chart at #34. The song was also featured on Triple J's Hottest 100 of 2008 in Australia. A deluxe version of her debut album containing unreleased tracks was released in February 2009. Fortress Round My Heart was finally released in the United States in March 2009 with "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked" appearing on the Hot Modern Rock Tracks chart in April 2009. In July 2009, "Oh My God", Maria's debut single in 2007, was re-released as a single along with a music video. In September 2009, a remix version and music video for "Oh My God" featuring punk rock icon Iggy Pop singing backing vocals was released.
Having performed at various festivals, including the Glastonbury Festival and Reading festival, and being nominated for Best Rock/Indie Artist category at the BT Digital Music Awards 2008, Ida Maria has toured in Scandinavia, the UK, the United States and Australia. She performed her song "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked" on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in 2009.
Her second album, Katla, was released in Norway on 8 November 2010 (where it reached #14 on the album chart) and eventually in the United States in July 2011. and internationally on 7 June 2011.
Her third studio album, Love Conquers All, was released in August 2013 and was followed in February 2014 by her first EP release, Accidental Happiness.
Scandalize My Name, her fourth album, was released on 18 April 2016 and consists of a collection of American spirituals.
She competed in the Melodi Grand Prix 2018, attempting to represent Norway in the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 with the song 'Scandilove'. Her song was not one of the four songs that progressed to the Gold Final, and was eliminated.
Maria's song "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked" was used in episode 8 of My Life As Liz entitled "A Prom to Remember Part 2". It was played during the dancing sequence at the prom. The song was also included in the soundtrack of the film Lesbian Vampire Killers. Her song "Louie" is being used for some commercials for the FX TV show Louie. It was again used as the inspiration for the title of episode 12, season 6 of Grey's Anatomy
Maria's song "Keep Me Warm" was used in the season 4 finale of the ABC drama Grey's Anatomy and during some Nivea commercials during fall 2009. It has also been used in the UK drama show Skins, in series 4, episode 1.
Maria was one of the co-headliners of the 2009 Perez Hilton Presents tour. On 17 September 2009, after a Boston show, she pulled out of the tour, citing exhaustion.
Her song "Bad Karma" from Katla was used in the 2011 film Scream 4 and episodes of Gossip Girl, Teen Wolf, Royal Pains and Being Human together with the song "Quite Nice People", both from the album Katla.
Ida Maria's song "Oh My God" was used in a Finnish film, Sisko tahtoisin jäädä (Sister, I wanted to stay), released in 2010.
Ida Maria's song "Oh My God" was also used in American Netflix show, Big Mouth Season 2 Episode 2, released in 2018.
Maria has collaborated with the Norwegian rapper Joddski on two occasions, first on the track "Sannhetsserum" on his 2010 album Krig & Kjærlighet, and secondly on the track "Hold Ut" on is 2011 album Bensin På Bålet.
I don't know what life's like without it, as I've always had it. As I've gotten older, I've seen that it has definitely been a bonus in terms of what I do. When I started to play guitar, I made this colour sheet for all the chords. I didn't know what they were called, but I knew exactly what colours and shades they were. So I made songs with colour palettes, which was really cool.
- 2007: Alarmprisen in the category this years Artist of the Year, for the album Fortress Round My Heart
- 2008: Spellemannprisen in the category this years Newcomer, for the album Fortress Round My Heart
- 2008: By:Larm prisen
- 2008: Nesna Kommune Kulturpris
- 2009: Nordland Fylkeskommunes Kulturpris Nordland County Council Culture Award
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
|Fortress Round My Heart||
|Love Conquers All||
|Scandalize My Name||
|"—" denotes an album that did not chart or was not released.|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Oh My God"[A]||2007||—||—||—||Fortress Round My Heart|
|"Drive Away My Heart"||—||—||—|
|"Queen of the World"||—||—||—|
|"I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked"||2008||19||55||13|
|"Oh My God (re-release)"||2009||—||—||85|
|"Boogie With the Devil's Soul"||2014||—||—||—|
|"Scandalize My Name"||2016||—||—||—||Scandalize My Name|
|"I'm Gonna Tell God All Of My Troubles"||—||—||—|
|"The Comfort Song" (with Vamp)||2019||—||—||—|
|"Underneath A Stranger's Eye"||2020||—||—||—|
|"Sick of You"||—||—||—||Dirty Money|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or was not released.|
|"Drive Away My Heart"||2007||—|
|"Queen of the World"|
|"Keep Me Warm" (live)|
|"I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked"|
|"Oh My God"||2009|
|"Oh My God" (Remix ft. Iggy Pop)|
|"Quite Nice People"||2011|
|"Boogie With the Devil's Soul"|
|"I'm Gonna Tell God All Of My Troubles"||2016|
|"Sick of You"||2021||Santiago D.A.|
|"Dirty Money"||Per Heimly|
For her first album, Fortress Round My Heart, Maria's backing band included:
- Ida Maria Børli Sivertsen – vocals, rhythm guitar
- Stefan Törnby – lead guitar
- Johannes Lindberg – bass guitar
- Olle Lundin – drums
- "Oh My God" was re-released in the UK on 26 January 2009.
- Norwegian release 11 September 2010. International release 3 May 2011.
- Profile, imdb.com; accessed 18 July 2015.
- Peter Gaston, "Exclusive Song: Ida Maria Rocks with Iggy Pop!", Spin, 17 August 2009
- "Ida Maria kicks off Glastonbury Other Stage", NME, 27 June 2008
- Ida Maria (Ida Maria Børli Sivertsen) at groove.no (Norwegian)
- Ida Maria Soundtrack, IMDb.com; accessed 17 July 2015.
- TweedaMaria "Featuring a new collection of musicians, Katla has an eclectic mix of sounds. In places you can hear Ida Maria sing (and speak) in her native Norwegian. The strongest tracks are the heavy rock song "Bad Karma" and the Hispanic-influenced "I Eat Boys Like You For Breakfast"." Twitter tweet from Ida Maria, 07:20, 9 August 2010
-  at Kirkelig Kulturverksted
- "Ida Maria Releases New Single 'I'm Busy'".
- "Punk rock sensation IDA MARIA shares new video "Sick of You"".
- Lesbian Vampire Killers soundtrack at IMDb
- "ROCK BAND 3 FEATURES, SETLIST, AND MORE!" Archived 2010-06-14 at the Wayback Machine, Harmonix website, 11 June 2010
- It's Kind of a Funny Story - Trailer at YouTube, posted 14 July 2010
- William Goodman, "Ida Maria Drops Off Perez Hilton Tour" Spin magazine, 18 September 2009
- NRK TV - Se Jenter Sesong 10 (in Norwegian), retrieved 2017-12-01
- "Vampyr E3 2017 Trailer". YouTube.
- "I Love You, You Imbecile" by PELLE CARLBERG on YouTube
- "Guillemots – Red". Track listing. Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Madeleine Schyen, "Du er så flink, flink, flink!" posted on pr3.no, 13 February 2009 (Norwegian)
- "Joddski – Krig & Kjærlighet". Track listing. Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Joddski og Ida med «Hold Ut» for Utøya", nrk.no, 3 August 2011 (Norwegian)
- Yancey, Bryne (2012-01-10). "Anthony Green streams new song feat. Ida Maria, "Can't Be Satisfied"". Alternative Press. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Dan Cairns (24 February 2008). "Times Online interview". The Times. London. Retrieved 24 July 2008. (subscription required)
- Doug Johnstone, Ida Maria - She’s a rainbow, The List, 22 May 2008
- "Discography Ida Maria". Norwegian Charts Portal. Hung Medien. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- Peak chart positions in the UK:
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010 (PDF ed.). Mt Martha, Victoria, Australia: Moonlight Publishing. p. 176.
- "New single out in Norway today!!!!!" 11 September 2010
- "RCA Label Group (UK) Ida Maria - Fortress Round My Heart". RCA Label Group. 28 July 2008. Archived from the original on 16 August 2008. Retrieved 26 August 2008.