Maria performing in 2009
|Birth name||Ida Maria Børli Sivertsen|
13 July 1984 |
|Genres||Punk rock, indie rock, alternative rock|
|Instruments||Guitar, bass guitar, vocals|
|Labels||Nesna Records, Waterfall Records, Mercury Records, Lava Records|
Ida Maria Børli Sivertsen (EE-dah; born 13 July 1984), better known simply as Ida Maria, is a Norwegian musician and songwriter. Her first album, Fortress Round My Heart, was released in 2008. In November 2010, she released her second album Katla in Norway; the album was released internationally on 7 June 2011. In August 2013, Maria digitally released her third album Love Conquers All in Norway.
Maria gained considerable success in Norway in 2007 after winning two national competitions for unknown artists - Zoom urørt 2006 and Urørtkonkurransen 2007 - and playing successful shows at the annual Norwegian music industry festival By:Larm 2007 and 2008. Her singles, "Oh My God" and "Stella", were both played regularly on the Norwegian national radio station NRK P3.
Maria later expanded her popularity outside Norway, notably in the United Kingdom where she appeared on Later... with Jools Holland, was interviewed by The Times, and performed at the Glastonbury Festival. In September 2009, she released a remix of her first single "Oh My God" with punk rock icon Iggy Pop singing backing vocals.
Having performed at various festivals, including Reading, and being nominated for Best Rock/Indie Artist category at the BT Digital Music Awards 2008, Ida Maria has toured in Scandinavia, the UK, the United States and Australia. She performed her song "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked" on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in 2009.
Her second album, Katla, was released in Norway on 8 November 2010 and internationally on 7 June 2011.
Her fourth album was released on 18 April 2016, consisting of a collection of American spirituals.
Maria's song "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked" was used in episode 8 of My Life As Liz entitled "A Prom to Remember Part 2". It was played during the dancing sequence at the prom. The song was also included in the soundtrack of the film Lesbian Vampire Killers. Her song "Louie" is being used for some commercials for the FX TV show Louie.
Maria's song "Keep Me Warm" was used in the season 4 finale of the ABC drama Grey's Anatomy and during some Nivea commercials during fall 2009. It has also been used in the UK drama show Skins, in series 4, episode 1.
Maria was one of the co-headliners of the 2009 Perez Hilton Presents tour. On 17 September 2009, after a Boston show, she pulled out of the tour, citing exhaustion.
Her song "Bad Karma" from Katla was used in the 2011 film Scream 4 and episodes of Gossip Girl, Teen Wolf, Royal Pains and Being Human together with the song "Quite Nice People", both from the album Katla.
Ida Maria's song "Oh My God" was used in a Finnish film, Sisko tahtoisin jäädä (Sister, I wanted to stay), released in 2010.
In 2007, Maria sang vocals for the track "I Love You, You Imbecile" by Pelle Carlberg.
Maria has collaborated with the Norwegian rapper Joddski on two occasions, first on the track "Sannhetsserum" on his 2010 album Krig & Kjærlighet, and secondly on the track "Hold Ut" on is 2011 album Bensin På Bålet.
|“||I don't know what life's like without it, as I've always had it. As I've gotten older, I've seen that it has definitely been a bonus in terms of what I do. When I started to play guitar, I made this colour sheet for all the chords. I didn't know what they were called, but I knew exactly what colours and shades they were. So I made songs with colour palettes, which was really cool.||”|
- 2007: Alarmprisen in the category this years Artist of the Year, for the album Fortress Round My Heart
- 2008: Spellemannprisen in the category this years Newcomer, for the album Fortress Round My Heart
- 2008: By:Larm prisen
- 2008: Nesna Kommune Kulturpris
- 2009: Nordland Fylkeskommunes Kulturpris Nordland County Council Culture Award
- Studio albums
- 2008 – Fortress Round My Heart produced by Timo Räisänen - UK #39
- 2010 - Katla produced by Butch Walker
- 2013 - Love Conquers All
- 2016 - Scandalize My Name
- Extended plays
- 2014 - Accidental Happiness
- "Oh My God"
- "Drive Away My Heart"
- "Stella" - UK #185
- "Queen of the World"
- "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked" - UK #13, Norway #19
- "Oh My God" (UK re-release 26 January.) UK #85
- "Bad Karma" (Norwegian release 11 September 2010 - International release 3 May 2011) 
- "Cherry Red" (2011)
- "69" (2013)
- "Boogie With the Devil's Soul" (2014)
- "Scandalize My Name" (2016)
- "I'm Gonna Tell God All Of My Troubles" (2016)
For her first album, Fortress Round My Heart, Maria's backing band included:
- Ida Maria Børli Sivertsen – vocals, rhythm guitar
- Stefan Törnby – lead guitar
- Johannes Lindberg – bass guitar
- Olle Lundin – drums
- Profile, imdb.com; accessed 18 July 2015.
- "Ida Maria kicks off Glastonbury Other Stage", NME, 27 June 2008
- Peter Gaston, "Exclusive Song: Ida Maria Rocks with Iggy Pop!", Spin, 17 August 2009
- Ida Maria (Ida Maria Børli Sivertsen) at groove.no (Norwegian)
- Ida Maria Soundtrack, IMDb.com; accessed 17 July 2015.
- TweedaMaria "Featuring a new collection of musicians, Katla has an eclectric mix of sounds. In places you can hear Ida Maria sing (and speak) in her native Norwegian. The strongest tracks are the heavy rock song "Bad Karma" and the Hispanic-influenced "I Eat Boys Like You For Breakfast"." Twitter tweet from Ida Maria, 07:20, 9 August 2010
-  at Kirkelig Kulturverksted
- Lesbian Vampire Killers soundtrack at IMDb
- "ROCK BAND 3 FEATURES, SETLIST, AND MORE!", Harmonix website, 11 June 2010
- It's Kind of a Funny Story - Trailer at YouTube, posted 14 July 2010
- William Goodman, "Ida Maria Drops Off Perez Hilton Tour" Spin magazine, 18 September 2009
- "I Love You, You Imbecile" by PELLE CARLBERG on YouTube
- "Guillemots – Red". Track listing. Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Madeleine Schyen, "Du er så flink, flink, flink!" posted on pr3.no, 13 February 2009 (Norwegian)
- "Joddski – Krig & Kjærlighet". Track listing. Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Joddski og Ida med «Hold Ut» for Utøya", nrk.no, 3 August 2011 (Norwegian)
- Yancey, Bryne (2012-01-10). "Anthony Green streams new song feat. Ida Maria, "Can't Be Satisfied"". Alternative Press. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Dan Cairns (24 February 2008). "Times Online interview". The Times. London. Retrieved 24 July 2008. (subscription required)
- Doug Johnstone, Ida Maria - She’s a rainbow, The List, 22 May 2008
- "The Official UK Albums Chart for the week ending 9 August 2008". ChartsPlus. Milton Keynes: IQ Ware Ltd (363): 5–8.
- Chart Log UK 2008 at zobbel.de[unreliable source?]
- "New single out in Norway today!!!!!" 11 September 2010
- "RCA Label Group (UK) Ida Maria - Fortress Round My Heart". RCA Label Group. 28 July 2008. Archived from the original on 16 August 2008. Retrieved 26 August 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ida Maria.|
- Official website
- Times Online - Ida Maria interview
- Anthony Green - Can't Be Satisfied (Live w/ Ida Maria) @ 2/9/12 El Rey Theatre Los Angeles, CA on YouTube
Tine Thing Helseth
|Recipient of the Newcomer Spellemannprisen