Idabel High School
|Idabel High School|
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Idabel Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Red and black|
The school offers courses in English, mathematics, social studies and history, physical education and agriculture education. It received a B under the state's A-F grading system in 2012.
Curriculum and academics
Oklahoma state law requires all public schools to offer courses to teach the necessary basic skills of learning and communication (reading, English, writing, the use of numbers and science) and social studies (United States Constitution and government, Oklahoma history and government and a course on other countries of the world)
Additionally, high schools must provide a physical education course designed to provide a minimum of 150 minutes of physical education per week, unless provided an exemption by the Oklahoma State Department of Education due to undue hardship.
Due to agriculture's importance in Oklahoma, Idabel High School, like many Oklahoma schools offers agriculture education.
According to Publicschoolreview.com, the high school has a graduation rate of 81 percent.
Sports and traditions
The school track teams have won a total of 22 state championships, with the boys team winning 17 and the girls team winning 5. Most recently, the boys team won the 1995 state championship. The girls most recent win was in 2006.
The boys basketball team took home the state championship in 2005.
Zac Myers won the boys 4A golf state championship in 2010.
- Administrators, Idabel High School Archived 2012-08-28 at the Wayback Machine. (accessed April 10, 2013).
- School Laws of Oklahoma Archived 2013-05-10 at the Wayback Machine., Oklahoma State Department of Education (accessed April 11, 2013)
- A-F Report Card, Oklahoma State Department of Education (accessed April 10, 2013).
- At a glance: Letter grades for districts across Oklahoma, Newsok.com, December 10, 2012 (accessed April 10, 2013).
- Idabel High School, Publicschoolreview.com (accessed April 10, 2013)
- Idabel golfer streaks to regional golf honors, Newsok.com, April 25, 2002 (accessed April 11, 2013)
- 4A SNAPSHOT: Lacey Jones wins 4th title, Newsok.com, May 7, 2004 (accessed April 11, 2013)
- Idabel's Zac Myers wins individual title, ready to sign with OBU, Newsok.com, May 12, 2010 (accessed April 11, 2013)