Idaho Falls Idaho Temple
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Idaho Falls Idaho Temple|
|Closed for Renovation / Rededication Scheduled|
|Dedication||23 September 1945
George Albert Smith
|Site||7 acres (2.8 hectares)|
|Floor area||92,177 sq ft (8,564 m2)|
|Height||143 ft (44 m)|
|Preceded by||Mesa Arizona Temple|
|Followed by||Bern Switzerland Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
The Idaho Falls Idaho Temple (formerly the Idaho Falls Temple) is the tenth constructed and eighth operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Located in the city of Idaho Falls, Idaho it was the first LDS temple built in Idaho, and the first temple built with a modern single-spire design.
The LDS temple in Idaho Falls was announced on March 3, 1937. The building was designed by the church board of temple architects; Edward O. Anderson, Georgious Y. Cannon, Ramm Hansen, John Fetzer, Hyrum Pope, Lorenzo Snow Young. The exterior of the temple was completed in September 1941 and the interior was expected to be completed the following year. However, with World War II shortages, it delayed the completion of the temple for four more years. In spite of delays, LDS Church president George Albert Smith dedicated the Idaho Falls Temple just one month after the war ended, on September 23, 1945. The temple was built on a 7-acre (2.8 ha) plot, has 4 ordinance rooms and 9 sealing rooms, and has a total floor area of 92,177 square feet (8,563.5 m2).
The name of the temple was changed from the Idaho Falls Temple to the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple in 1999 when the church introduced standardized naming conventions for temples worldwide.
Beginning March 16, 2015, the temple closed for renovations that were anticipated to take approximately 18 months. On November 11, 2016, the LDS Church that following anticipated completion of the renovations, a public open house is scheduled from 22 April through 20 May 2017, excluding Sundays. The temple will be rededicated on Sunday, June 4, 2017.
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Idaho
- "Temples renamed to uniform guidelines". Church News. Deseret News. October 16, 1999. Retrieved October 11, 2012.
- "Two Temples Scheduled for Renovation in Germany and Idaho", Newsroom, LDS Church, 2014-12-16
- "Idaho Falls Idaho Temple Open House, Rededication Dates Announced", Newsroom, LDS Church, 2016-11-11
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Idaho Falls Idaho Temple.|