Idaho Republican Party
The Idaho Republican Party is the Idaho state affiliate of the United States Republican Party. It was founded in the 1860s. Following the 2016 general election, Republicans now hold all congressional and statewide offices, as well as an 84% supermajority of the state legislature.
|This article does not cite any sources. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Senate leader||Brent Hill|
|House leader||Scott Bedke|
|National affiliation||Republican Party|
|Seats in the Upper House||
29 / 35
|Seats in the Lower House||
59 / 70
The Idaho Republican Party is the dominant political party in the state of Idaho. Today, Idaho is one of the most Republican states in the country. It has the second largest percentage of Republicans in a state legislature. Republicans control all constitutional offices in the state as well as supermajorities in the House and Senate.
The Idaho GOP is also responsible for putting together and executing a Victory Plan that includes registering and identifying Republican voters and getting them to the polls. The Idaho GOP provides infrastructure and resources for Republican candidates.
II. Governing Body
1. State Central Committee: The governing body of the Idaho Republican Party is the Republican State Central Committee, which is made up of elected members from each legislative district and county. It establishes the rules and functions of the Idaho Republican Party on the state level.
2. Chairman and Executive Committee: The current Chairman of the Idaho Republican Party is Steve Yates. Mr. Yates was elected chairman of the Idaho Republican Party on August 2, 2014, and led a successful statewide general election campaign keeping every Congressional and constitutional office Republican, and preserving Republican supermajorities in Idaho’s House and Senate.The current Executive Director is David Johnston. Mr. Johnston was named Executive Director by Chairman Yates in August of 2014. The Executive committee consists of a first and second vice chair, secretary, treasurer, finance chair, region chairs from each of Idaho’s seven regions, and the Presidents of the affiliated clubs, Young Republicans, College Republicans, and Republican Women. The Executive Committee is selected at the State Convention, held bi-annually.
Overview: By the time of the 1889 Constitutional Convention, the Republican Party was the prominent Party in Idaho, and made up the majority of the representatives at the Constitutional Convention for statehood. Republicans and Democrats had equal influence in Idaho until the 1960s when the Republican Party became, and has remained, the prominent political Party.
A. Economic: The Idaho Republican Party believes free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation and state opportunity, economic growth and prosperity. They believe government must practice fiscal responsibility, and that taxpayers should allow the government only the money necessary to provide appropriate functions.
B. Social: The Idaho Republican Party believes the strength of our nation lies with our faith and reliance on God our Creator, the individual, and the family, and that each person's dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored. The Idaho Republican Party believes the United States Constitution is the greatest and most inspired document to govern a nation, and the republican form of government it gives us is the best guarantor of freedom in history. They believe in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.
V. Current Republican Officeholders
Members of Congress
U.S. House of Representatives
- Governor: Butch Otter
- Lieutenant Governor: Brad Little
- Secretary of State: Lawerence Denney
- Attorney General: Lawrence Wasden
- State Controller: Brandon D Woolf
- State Treasurer: Ron Crane
- Superintendent of Public Instruction: Sherri Ybarra