|Founder||Bill T. Gross|
|Bill Gross, Reneé LaBran, Allen Morgan, Dr. Howard Morgan|
|Marcia Goodstein, Chief Operating Officer and President; Jason Atzert, Creative Director; Craig Chrisney, Chief Financial Officer; Wes Ferrari, Vice President, Information Technologies; Debbie Chen, General Counsel;|
Idealab was founded by Bill T. Gross (not to be confused with the founder of PIMCO, Bill H. Gross) in March 1996. Prior to Idealab, Gross founded GNP Loudspeakers (now GNP Audio Video), an audio equipment manufacturer; GNP Development Inc., acquired by Lotus Software; and Knowledge Adventure, an educational software company, later acquired by Cendant. Gross graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the California Institute of Technology and Idealab has historically hired many alumni; Gross now sits on the Institute's board of trustees.
In December 2009, the company re-branded and introduced a new logo.
Idealab has created, invested in, and spun off a diverse array of companies:
- AirWave Wireless, vendor of wireless network management software acquired by Aruba Networks in 2008
- Aptera Motors, electric car manufacturer
- CarsDirect, folded into diversified Internet Brands
- Citysearch, acquired by IAC/InterActiveCorp (NASDAQ: IACI).
- Commission Junction
- Compete, Inc.
- Energy Vault
- Free-PC.com, acquired by eMachines
- GoTo.com, later renamed Overture Services, then Yahoo! Search Marketing
- Insider Pages, city guides with customer reviews of restaurants, beauty salons, dentists and other local services
- NetZero (NASDAQ: UNTD).
- Picasa, acquired by Google
- PerfectMarket.com, acquired by Taboola
- Scout electromedia (venture investment, 2000)
- Tickets.com (acquired by Major League Baseball Advanced Media)
|This article about an internet company of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|