Identity and Democracy
|Identity and Democracy|
|European Parliament group|
|Name||Identity and Democracy|
|Formal name||Identity and Democracy Group|
|Political position||Right-wing to far-right|
|European parties||Identity and Democracy Party|
|Associated organisations||European Alliance of Peoples and Nations|
|From||13 June 2019|
|Preceded by||Europe of Nations and Freedom|
|Chaired by||Marco Zanni|
73 / 751
Identity and Democracy (French: Identité et démocratie, ID) is a political group in the European Parliament launched on 13 June 2019 for the Ninth European Parliament term. It is the successor to the Europe of Nations and Freedom group formed during the eighth term.
On 12 June 2019, it was announced that the successor to the Europe of Nations and Freedom (ENF) group would be named "Identity and Democracy" (ID), and include Italy's Northern League (LN), the French National Rally (RN) and Alternative for Germany as member parties. The Finns Party is also a member of the group. LN MEP Marco Zanni was announced as the new group's chairman. The group, composed of 73 MEPs, was launched in Brussels by RN leader Marine Le Pen on 13 June 2019.
The Dutch Party for Freedom (PVV) failed to secure any seats at the election; however, it would have gained one in the post-Brexit apportionment of seats. Party leader Geert Wilders has stated his intention, once Brexit happens, to align the PVV with ID, provided that the post-Brexit apportionment is confirmed by the European Council.
The following parties have members in the ID group in the European Parliament:
|Country||National party||European party||MEPs|
|Austria||Freedom Party of Austria
Freiheitliche Partei Österreichs (FPÖ)
3 / 18
Vlaams Belang (VB)
3 / 12
|Czech Republic||Freedom and Direct Democracy
Svoboda a přímá demokracie (SPD)
2 / 21
|Denmark||Danish People's Party
Dansk Folkeparti (DF)
1 / 13
|Estonia||Conservative People's Party of Estonia
Eesti Konservatiivne Rahvaerakond (EKRE)
1 / 6
2 / 13
Rassemblement national (RN)
20 / 74
1 / 74
1 / 74
|Germany||Alternative for Germany
Alternative für Deutschland (AfD)
11 / 96
28 / 73
73 / 751
- Chairman: Marco Zanni
- Rankin, Jennifer (13 June 2019). "MEPs create biggest far-right group in European parliament". The Guardian.
- Weise, Zia (12 June 2019). "Salvini alliance to be named Identity and Democracy". Politico.
- Nikolaj Nielsen (13 June 2019). "New 'ID' far-right EU parliament group falls short". EUobserver. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- Alfie Tobutt (13 June 2019). "Marine Le Pen to unveil new far-right alliance in European Parliament". Euronews. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "France's Le Pen unveils new far-right European Parliament group". Reuters. 13 June 2019.
- Lorne Cook (13 June 2019). "Europe's populists rebrand but policies remain the same". Associated Press. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "Extrema direita une forças para eleições europeias". Terra. 25 April 2019.