From left: Dguru and DR at Cho Yong-pil 19th New Album Release 'Hello' Showcase 2013.
|Labels||VU Entertainment, HIGHGRND (2017-present)|
Idiotape is a South Korean electronic music band. They released their debut EP 0805 in July 2010 and their first album 11111101, a year later, which won "Best Dance & Electronic Album" at the 2012 Korean Music Awards. They have performed at multiple music festivals at home and around the world.
Formation and members
The band was initially formed in 2007, when members Dguru and Zeze met in the Seoul club scene, and started the band with a guitarist, who later left. The current band was formed in 2010, when drummer DR, formerly of the Seoul pop punk, pop rock band Sugar Donut, joined them.
Their name is a combination of the words "idiot" and "tape", which combined, minus one "t", also produced "idiot" and "ape"; and is a reflection of their nostalgia for cassettes, which they grew up with, and the use of analog equipment, which they favored.
Sound and influence
They were influenced by Korean classic rock from the 1960s and 1970s, and a wide range of bands, including The Doors, Radiohead, Metallica and Pantera. They are known for their analog sound, but still credit their rock influences. During a 2014 interview with WNUR-FM's Danny Hwang in Chicago Zeze said, "We for starters, began because we wanted to do electronic music, make an electronic band. But generally, in a way, I don't think we're too different from the average rock band. It's just that sounds we like happen to be synthesizers or other electronic instruments and I think we make the music we like using those instruments. And we try not to limit ourselves in terms of the sound or genre. It's more like we're doing whatever we want to do."
Touring and festivals
In March 2011, they were part of the first group of Seoulsonic bands, along with Vidulgi OoyoO and Galaxy Express, who performed at the Canadian Music Week in Toronto and SXSW in Austin, Texas, following up with a U.S. tour, including concerts in New York (The Knitting Factory) and Los Angeles (The Roxy). They performed at SXSW again in 2014 at K-Pop Night Out at SXSW. They have also opened for Fatboy Slim at Global Gathering Korea and performed at other festivals, including, the Pentaport Rock Festival, Glastonbury Festival, Exit Festival, Rencontres Trans Musicales, Summer Sonic Festival, Future Music Festival, Fusion Festival, Paléo Festival, Mundial Festival Netherlands, FMM Sines, Ansan Valley Rock Festival, Midem, and Ultra Korea 2016.
Awards and nominations
|2012||Korean Music Awards||Best Dance & Electronic Album||11111101||Won|||
- Kim, Jae-chang (February 29, 2012). [T포토] 이디오테잎, '최우수 댄스&일렉트로닉 음반상 수상'. Zum (in Korean). Retrieved October 9, 2016.
- "Idiotape". BlouinArtInfo. September 3, 2016. Retrieved October 9, 2016.
- Kim, Young-jin (April 24, 2013). "Rock isn't dead; at least not yet". The Korea Times. Retrieved October 10, 2016.
- Won, Ho-jung (June 7, 2015). "Idiotape constantly looking for fresh fun". Kpop Herald. Retrieved October 10, 2016.
- "ROK Heavy". KoreAm. February 28, 2011. Retrieved October 9, 2016.
- "IDIOTAPE". South by Southwest. Retrieved October 10, 2016.
- Selonick, Anna (April 21, 2014). "K-Sound: Interview with Idiotape". WNUR-FM. Retrieved October 10, 2016.
- Min, Ines (February 17, 2011). "[Weekender] Korean indie bands to rock North America". The Korea Times. Retrieved October 9, 2016.
- Cha, JONATHAN (March 12, 2014). "Lady Gaga Attends 'K-Pop Night Out' at SXSW, Headlined by Jay Park, HyunA". KoreAm. Retrieved October 9, 2016.
- Oak, Jessica (February 24, 2014). "'K-Pop Night Out' Returns for SXSW 2014 With HyunA, Jay Park & More". Billboard. Retrieved October 9, 2016.
- Zimmer, Cindy (March 15, 2014). "Review: K-pop Night Out at SXSW". ATK Magazine. Retrieved October 9, 2016.
- Jackson, Julie (July 27, 2015). "[Herald Review] Closing Ansan rock fest, Foo Fighters bring us back to 'These Days'". The Korea Herald. Retrieved October 10, 2016.
- Chung, Joo-won (March 8, 2016). "K-pop musicians ready to rock global festivals". Yonhap. Retrieved October 10, 2016.
- Penone, Fabien (November 1, 2015). "Warmest congratulations -- French ambassador". The Korea Times. Retrieved October 10, 2016.
- Kim, Ji-young (July 10, 2016). "[Weekender] Festivals fill summer 2016 with music". The Korea Herald. Retrieved October 10, 2016.
- Lee, Mi-na (31 December 2014). ""'더 지니어스' 덕에 인기 얻었지만...부담스러웠다"". Oh My News (in Korean). Retrieved 2016-10-07.
- 인기가수 아닌 '최고 소리꾼' 가린다…2012 KMA 오늘 개최. JoongAng Ilbo (in Korean). February 29, 2012. Retrieved October 9, 2016.
- 한국대중음악상 2012. Korean Music Awards (in Korean). Retrieved October 9, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Idiotape.|